University of Vienna Uni:docs Fellowship Programme for Doctoral Candidates
The uni:docs fellowship programme is an individual scholarship which aims at financing excellent doctoral candidates for a period of three years. The scholarship will provide outstanding early stage researchers with conditions that allow them to focus exclusively on their research and thus make substantial contributions to science.
The fellowship programme will be offered once a year. It will be awarded on the basis of a multilevel review process. Currently, three calls for applications are planned.
Target group: Highly qualified (prospective) doctoral candidates at the University of Vienna.
All applications have to be submitted online through the funding portal of the Service Unit Research Services and Career Development.
- The fellowship programme is open to doctoral candidates of all disciplines.
- Applicants need not necessarily already be enrolled as PhD candidates at the time of application.
Already enrolled applicants:
If the applicant is already enrolled as a PhD candidate at the University of Vienna, the admission has to have occurred no earlier than the summer semester 2014.
Not yet enrolled applicants:
If the applicant is not yet enrolled as a PhD candidate at the University of Vienna, the admission needs to take place before October 2016. All information about requirements and the admission process can be found here.
- If funding of a duration of at least 2 years has been granted from elsewhere (e.g. ÖAW-DOC scholarship, or an employment at the university), then it is not possible to apply for the uni:docs scholarship.
- The funding of part-time dissertations is not possible. Additional employment which is not clearly related to research is also not possible.
- Applicants need a supervisor at the University of Vienna who is working in the field of the planned thesis. At the time of their application, applicants already have to be accepted by this supervisor as PhD candidate. The supervisor needs to fill out an online form (see application documents) to complete the application process.
A complete application includes the following parts:
From the applicant
- The online application form including the abstract (max. 2000 characters incl. spaces). The abstract of German applications must be written in German. If the application is in a language other than German, the abstract must be written in English.
- Upload: A CV (in the language of the application, max 3 pages). This CV should not contain any information that allows inferences on the gender of the applicant (no picture, no first name, no e-mail address with first names etc)!
- Upload: A narrative CV (in German or English, max. 3 pages)
- Upload: A research proposal of the dissertation project (max. 15 pages including reference list). The proposal must include information on the state of the art as well as information on methods, a time plan and information on relevant literature on the topic. The research proposal should not contain any information that allows inferences on the gender of the applicant (no picture, no first name, no e-mail address with first names etc)! Further information about the research proposal can be found here.
Please note: The total size of the documents is limited to 10MB
From the supervisor
Statement from the supervisor.
With the submission of the application, the supervisor is automatically asked via the online system to submit a statement. This statement should include an evaluation of both, the candidate and the reserach proposal. The statement has to be submitted online before 16 January 2015, 14:00 CET. Applications without the online statement of the supervisor will not be considered. Information regarding the supervisor statement can be found here.