Vice Chancellor's Research Scholarships
The School of European Culture and Languages is delighted to be able to offer three Vice Chancellor’s Research Scholarships for new PhD students starting in the academic year 2017/18:
- The scholarships cover full home/EU fees plus a maintenance grant and a salary which will total an amount equivalent to that offered by the Research Councils for 2017;
- The scholarships will be offered for one year in the first instance, renewable for a maximum of three years, subject to satisfactory academic performance;
- The scholarships are administered under the Graduate Teaching Assistantship Scheme. Recipients of these scholarships will be expected to undertake four hours of teaching per week over the three years of the award.
- The scholarships are only open to new doctoral students, studying in the following fields: Classical and Archaeological Studies, Comparative Literature, English Language and Linguistics, Modern Languages (French, German, Hispanic Studies, Italian), Philosophy and Religious Studies;
- The competition for these scholarships is open to UK, EU and overseas fee-paying students. Please note that overseas students must have the appropriate documentation to evidence eligibility to work in the UK.
Vice Chancellor’s Research Scholarships will be awarded to outstanding applicants able to demonstrate a high level of academic achievement, excellent communication skills, and the potential to make a strong contribution to their chosen field of research. Candidates must:
- Hold a good honours degree (First or 2.1) and a Master’s degree at Merit or Distinction in a relevant subject or equivalent;
- Hold an offer of a place on a full-time doctoral research degree in the School of European Culture and Languages for the academic year commencing September 2017;
- Have a high-quality research proposal;
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, suited to undergraduate teaching.
How to apply
Candidates must make a formal application to study on a SECL doctoral programme, by 3 March 2017;
- Candidates must also complete the SECL Scholarship application form by 3 March 2017;
- The completed form should be sent to the SECL Postgraduate Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Interviews are scheduled to take place during the week beginning 27 March 2017;
- For full terms and conditions of these awards, please see the University of Kent's scholarships webpages.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: