Call for Applications for 2 PhD Positions
100%, Start date September 1, 2020
in the fields of history, art history, musicology, philosophy, German literature, architectural history, English, media studies, and Egyptology.
Application Due Date: April 27, 2020
The eikones Graduate School at the Center for the Theory and History of the Image at the University of Basel invites applications for two positions for doctoral study on the theory and history of the image for four years beginning September 1, 2020.
Since 2005, eikones has served as a center for research on images from systematic and historical perspectives. The international and interdisciplinary center investigates the meanings, functions and effects of images in cultures since Antiquity and in our contemporary society. It aims at foundational image theory and at a historical investigation of images as instruments of human knowledge and cultural practices.
The purpose of the employment is to support the completion of an original dissertation and the degree. Students will be initially employed for one year. Following a positive evaluation at the conclusion of the first year, the position will be extended for a further three years.
In the duration of employment, students must fulfill all circular requirements of the eikones Graduate School. Students are also expected to participate in the events of the Center for the Theory and History of the Image and to contribute to the fulfilment of its tasks.
- Excellent academic qualifications and promise in your field of study.
- An innovative dissertation project relating to the theory and history of the image.
- Masters or equivalent qualification in a relevant field of study, in particular history, art history, musicology, philosophy, German literature, architecture, English, media studies, or Egyptology.
- Applicants must possess a MA degree or equivalent by September 1, 2020. The MA degree must have been completed in the previous two years. Exceptions may be possible in extraordinary circumstances.
- Doctoral students must be advised by a faculty member of the eikones graduate school. Doctorate students must also be enrolled in the University of Basel for the duration of the program.
We offer you
The eikones graduate school offers excellent students of the humanities who would like to pursue a doctorate in the history and theory of the image a structured program of graduate study distinguished by dedicated advising, an internationality, interdisciplinary, regular dialogue with guest scholars, and professional opportunities. The goal of the doctoral program is the successful completion of the degree within the four-year duration. Salaries follow the standards of the University of Basel for doctorate positions.
The application should include:
- Cover Letter
- Copies of Degree Certificates
- Contact details for two references
- Project description (at most 10 pages) and bibliography
- Writing sample (at most 20 pages)
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.