National Post, Programme Analyst, PD, NO-A, Armenia CO
The Programme Analyst maintains collaborative relationships with all programme and project staff and operations at the country office. Internal contacts include the Assistant Representative, the Programme Analysts, and the country office’s programme/operations team.
External contacts include other UN agencies in country and counterparts in country programme activities, including government, national and international NGOs, etc..
This post is non-rotational.
P:EASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF ARMENIA
Closing date: May 31, 2018
Duration: One year renewable (*)
(*) No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations 4.5
The Programme Analyst assists in the design, planning and management of UNFPA’s country programme by analyzing relevant political, social and economic trends and providing inputs to formulation and evaluation of the programme activities on Population Dynamics and Development, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. The Programme Analyst carries out overall daily management and assists with programme implementation by using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures, as well as by monitoring results achieved during implementation. The Analyst facilitates the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes by monitoring results and adjusting the implementation approaches, if necessary. He/she ensures and guides the appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary.
The Analyst facilitates and takes over administrative management on the work of consultants, advisors and experts, establishes, and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in the Government, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues.
The Programme Analyst, Population Development position is located in Armenia country office. Under overall guidance of the Country Director for Armenia CO and the direct supervision of the Assistant Representative, the Programme Analyst on Population Dynamics and Development substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA activities in the area of PD.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Analyzes and interprets the political, social and economic environment relevant to population dynamics and development, and identifies opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention for Population and Development programme area. Keeps abreast of policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue and technical assistance coordination.
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, academia and other partners contributes substantively to the formulation and design of the country programme in line with Government priorities, UNFPA Strategic Plan, United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures. Ensures quality of programme/project design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems.
- Analyzes and reports on programme and project progress in terms of achieving results, using existing monitoring and evaluation tools and introducing new mechanisms and systems; identifies constraints and resource deficiencies and recommends corrective action.
- Monitors projects expenditures and disbursements to ensure delivery is in line with approved project budgets and to realize targeted delivery levels in compliance with relevant UNFPA rules and regulations
- Expedites and coordinates project implementation through establishing collaborative relationships with implementing partners, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies
- Helps the country office to create and document knowledge about current and emerging trends in country environment with regard to population dynamics and data issues by analyzing programmes, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Assists advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the Country office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events. Maintains effective internal/external communication with both internal and external team, partners, counterparts, donors, etc
- Evaluates project and programme activities by establishing and implementing mechanisms to systematically assess the achievement of results, conducting field visits, participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports. Analyzes factors affecting the achievement of results, recommends corrective actions and follows up on recommendations.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced degree in demography, population and/or other related social sciences field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Relevant professional experience, preferably in programme/project management in the public sector, international organizations or with non-governmental organizations in the area of demography, population and development are considered an advantage. Prior experience in the field of development and population activities would be highly desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of the interrelations between population dynamics and development issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic statistical concepts and methodologies.
- Skills in using statistical softwares (such as i.e. SPSS and Stata) applications are desirable.
Languages: Fluency in oral and written English and Armenian. Good/working level of Russian is required.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN System
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
Functional Skill Set:
Advocacy/Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
Delivering results-based programmes
Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
This is a project funded post.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
Application procedure is online through UNFPA E-Recruitment system - https://erecruit.partneragencies.org/psc/UNDPP1HRE/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_PRE&Action=A&SiteId=1&