Job - Junior Expert on Mitigation Impact Assessment, UNDP, Armenia
Location: Yerevan, ARMENIA
Application Deadline: 08-Mar-18 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 15-Mar-2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 15 March 2018 – 15 March 2020 (250 work days within the period of 2 years)
The project objective is to enable Armenia to prepare its Forth National Communication (4NC) under decision 17/CP7 and the Second Biennial Update Report (2BUR) under decision 2/CP17 of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. The 2BUR and 4NC will be built upon previous studies, self-assessment exercises and will be based on the UNFCCC Guidelines. It will enable Armenia to present the updated information on Convention implementation in a consistent, transparent and comparable manner. The project is coordinated by the Ministry of Nature Protection under the guidance of Inter-Agency Climate Change Council (IACCC). The Project components include: production of the Second Biennial Report and Fourth National Communication of Armenia under UNFCCC. The preparation of the 2BUR and 4NC is expected to enhance national capacity, contribute to general public awareness and knowledge building, and mainstream climate change consideration into national sustainable development process of Armenia. The project will also strengthen the cooperation between Armenia and other Parties to the Convention in achieving the ultimate objective of the UNFCCC.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the UNDP Climate Change Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the BUR Senior Expert, the Expert will be responsible for supporting the management in collection, systematization and assessment of the information on mitigation programs and projects, prepare the background materials for training of experts on new requirements and guidelines of IPCC and Consultative Group of Experts of non-Annex I countries. The expert will also be responsible for supporting functions connected with development of communication materials on low-carbon development policies and with organization of events, trainings and workshops.
The incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Assist Senior Expert in the finalization of 2BUR and preparation of the respective chapters of 4NC (GHG Inventory, GHG Mitigation, MRV, Convention implementation needs and gaps).
- Support project management in organization of the information session on the 2BUR results for national stakeholders, national participating institutions and data providers.
- Assist project management in the process of data collection requests to the respective institutions in the frame of National Greenhouse Gas Inventory for 2015-2016.
- Collect and systemize the relevant international documents on NC preparation to be shared with project team (training materials of Consultative Group of Experts, IPCC Guidelines and UNFCCC supporting materials, as well as UNFCCC Subsidiary Bodies decisions).
- Collect data for development of sectoral targets under NDC.
- As a part of project expert team participate in assessment of mitigation projects impact assessment.
- Support project experts in data input into IPCC software and analyzing modelling results.
- Assist project management in contributing to the development of national low-carbon development policies to meet national obligations under Paris Agreement.
- Assist project management in building partnership with national and local authorities, NGOs, private sector, and international partners in order to enhance the general awareness on climate change related issues in Armenia and contribute to capacity building in the frame of BURs and NCs.
- Summarize 2BUR2 and 4NC corresponding outcomes for communication and uploading on the web-site.
- Support project management in participation in national and international consultations as well as in organization of workshops among experts, national stakeholders and other partners.
Note: for each single specific call-offs, the respective detailed ToR with specified outputs and applicable number of working days will follow in line with the main scope of works of this assignment.
- Ability to review, analyze and prepare analytical and training materials.
- Strong dedication to learn and enhance knowledge in UNFCCC processes.
- Hands-on practice on IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories and application of IPCC Inventory Software and LEAP model
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to express ideas clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of the expert team.
- Good knowledge of computer software
Required Skills and Experience
- At least Master’s Degree in energy, economics, natural sciences or other related fields.
- At least three years of experience in energy, environment, economic sector in Armenia,
- At least one year of experience in climate change mitigation and greenhouse gas inventory related projects/programs.
- Relevant professional experience in the international organizations/projects.
- Excellent knowledge of Armenian and English, with exceptional writing skills,
- Ability to develop and deliver oral presentations, both in Armenian and English.
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING METHODOLOGY:
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants' technical qualifications, experience, and financial proposal. The contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as technically responsive/compliant/acceptable to the requirements of the ToR and received the highest cumulative (technical and financial) score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation - max. 70 points
- Criteria A: Relevant education – max 10 points
- Criteria B: Enhance knowledge in UNFCCC processes and IPCC Guidelines - max 20 points
- Criteria C: Sufficient experience in climate change mitigation and greenhouse gas inventory analysis - max 30 points
- Criteria D: Relevant professional experience in the international organizations/projects- max 10 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation - max. 30 points.
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Closed
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: