National Expert on Environmental Impact Assessment (Climate Change)
Location: Yerevan, ARMENIA
Application Deadline: 05-Feb-18 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English Russian
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 12-Feb-2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 Feb- 31 December, 2018 (up to 100 working days)
The aim of the nationally executed project is to respond to the objectives of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in accordance with its commitments as a Party to the Convention mandated by Articles 4 and 12 of the UNFCCC and 17/CP8. COP decisions. The project is a follow up of previous climate change enabling activities undertaken in the country. It will enable Armenia to present the updated information on Convention implementation in a consistent, transparent and comparable manner.
The overall objective of the Project is to maintain and enhance national capacities in order to ensure Convention implementation in a consistent way in accordance with the guidelines set by 17/CP8.
The Project will assist to development and strengthening of the national capacities and contribute to mainstreaming the climate change issues into national development plans and policy development procedures, thus enabling the country to confront climate change.
In the context of increasing risks of climate change it is important to build capacity in corresponding national structures for mainstreaming climate change in operational guidelines for ensuring climate proofing of programmes and projects planned to be implemented in the country.
Environmental Expertise Unit of the Ministry of Nature Protection is the key structure responsible for environmental impact assessment of programmes and projects, thus it’s essential to build corresponding knowledge and ensure appropriate practical implementation capacity for mainstreaming the climate change considerations in the environmental impact assessment process.
The objectives of the Task are: a) assess the existing data on climate change mitigation (greenhouse gas emission limitation) and climate change risks related to climate variability and forecasted climate changes on ecosystem services, availability of natural resources, air pollution, and climate change commitments of the country under Paris Agreement; b) on regular basis assess the incorporation of the main climate change considerations in the programmes and projects under EIA submitted for approval to Environmental Expertise Unit of the Ministry of Nature Protection; c) develop recommendations to improve climate change proofing procedures in the EIA process in Armenia, including regulatory improvements, guidelines and professional capacities; d) develop guidelines and deliver on job training for the EIA Environmental Expertise Unit staff, as well as experts involved in EIA.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the National Project Director, overall supervision of the UNDP Armenia Sustainable Growth and Resilience Portfolio Manager and direct supervision of the UNDP Armenia Climate Change Program Coordinator, the National Expert is responsible for conducting an assessment according to the following issues:
- Reviewing environmental impact assessment reports and preparing responses or decisions related to their findings with main emphasis to the consideration of climate change related issues both from GHG emissions reduction and climate change risks consideration point of view.
- Assisting various applicants by providing responses to their questions related to the law and procedures for preparing environmental impact studies.
- Participate in development of the methodology for preparing environmental impact studies and guidelines related to the climate change consideration.
- Providing expert opinion about internal and external questions related to the need to conduct environmental impact evaluations.
- Collecting appropriate information and feedback from beneficiaries and based on the analysis of the obtained feedbacks develop recommendations, tailored to the identified needs and gaps related to climate change needs and gaps mainstreaming in EIA process.
- Participate in selection of the external specialists for reviewing certain specialized sections of the environmental impact reports and review their work.
- Develop the guidelines and conduct training for Unit staff members on improving the quality and scope of the environmental impact assessment reports.
- Report on background information on main climate change related regulatory documents related to the limitation of the GHG emissions and impact on GHG sinks and removals, reduction of climate change related risks, which have to be considered under EIA in Armenia
- Develop report on needs and gaps related to the climate change mainstreaming in the EIA, based on the information collected in the process of the EIA of programmes and projects under consideration during the contract period
- Develop recommendations to improve climate change proofing procedures in the EIA process, including improvements in regulatory framework, professional capacity building, etc.
- Develop guidelines and deliver on job training for the EIA staff.
- Delivered training for the experts and specialists involved in EIA process.
- The knowledge of the international regulations and standards related to EIA is required
- Good knowledge of the national legal and regulatory framework related to the task;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Ability to work independently and ability to interact productively in a team;
- Timely delivery of good-quality products;
- Excellent communication skills, result and client oriented.
Required Skills and Experience
Master degree in natural sciences, engineering or environmental management
At least 5 years of working experience in conducting environmental impact assessment;
Experience in cooperation with local and international organizations.
Experience in /good knowledge of the context of climate change related issues in Armenia
Proficiency in Armenian; Good knowledge of English and Russian languages.
NDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING METHODOLOGY:
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants' technical qualifications, experience and financial proposal. The contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as technically responsive/compliant/acceptable to the requirements of the ToR and received the highest cumulative (technical and financial) score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation - max. 70 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation - max. 30 points.
Criteria A: Experience in conducting environmental impact assessment- max 15 points
Criteria B: Knowledge of national and international requirements for EIA - max 15 points
Criteria C: Knowledge of climate change adaptation and mitigation issues and related national priorities and documents- max 20 points
Criteria D: Demonstrated ability of cooperation with stakeholders: government and municipality specialists, and private sector- max 10 points
Criteria E: Experience with international organizations/projects- max 5 points
Criteria F: Language skills -max 5 points
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested candidates can apply for the position here - https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=76836