Uses of the Past – Menneisyyspolitiikat 9.–10.11. 2017, Jyväskylä, Finland
(ks. suomeksi alempana)
“Uses of the Past – Menneisyyspolitiikat” symposium brings together researchers who explore the intersections of the past, present and future. The symposium is open to experts from wide variety of academic fields. The working languages of the symposium are Finnish and English.
Confirmed speakers include Ulf Zander (Lund University), Leena Kurvet-Käosaar (University of Tartu), Kuisma Korhonen (University of Oulu), Jan Löfström (University of Helsinki) and Saija Kaskinen (University of Eastern Finland).
The symposium invites scholars to present papers which critically engage with the following topics
- the political uses of the past in creating meanings in the present and for the future
- the use of personal and cultural narratives and visual representations in reproducing the past
- the interactions of micro and macro levels in politics of the past
- cultural memory and belonging and the intersections of politics of memory and politics of belonging
- affectivity, belonging and the past
- the use of nostalgia in constructing the present and the future.
Abstracts (250 words max) should be sent to Johanna Turunen, email@example.com, +358 40 805 4511. Deadline for abstracts 19.6.2017.
There will also be a separate workshop for doctoral students arranged prior to the symposium on November 8th 2017. Separate CFP will be announced closer to the event.
The symposium is organized in cooperation by Society for Cultural studies and three research projects: EUROHERIT (ERC Starting Grant), Arts of Belonging (Kone Foundation), Intersecting Mobilities (Kone Foundation). All research projects are based at the Department of Music, Art and Culture Studies, University of Jyväskylä.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: