About Business Communication and Social Media Summer Program
Social media are becoming ever more popular, and recent studies demonstrate their importance as platforms capable of contributing to the increased corporate transparency of international companies, which is now accepted to be one of the key factors for future economic stability.
So, a general understanding of the main functionalities of social media and how they can be used from the point of view of an international company has become a necessity not only for students of business and law but other disciplines too. The course is divided into two interconnected sections which include social media functionalities and social media strategies for marketing and corporate dialogue, and the use of the most relevant Internet standards to support data and interactions between users, both internal and external to a company or organization.
Course Organiser: Dr Michaela Bednárová
Michaela Bednárová completed her Ph.D. in Management and Economics at the University of Huelva (Spain). During her doctorate studies she was a visiting researcher at Rutgers State University of New Jersey (USA) and her previous studies include Bachelor in Business Administration (2009, University of Economics in Bratislava, Slovakia); Top up degree BA (Hons) in Business Administration and Management (2009, University of Huddersfield, Business School, UK); Master in Finance Management (2011, University of Economics in Bratislava, Slovakia).
Michaela`s main research interests lie in the area of Business Communication 2.0; Social Media; Stakeholder Engagement; Corporate Social Responsibility; Sustainability and Integrated Reporting. She has publications in various national and international journals such as Online Information Review (UK), Journal of Information Systems (USA), Spanish Accounting Review (Spain) and professional journals such as AECA (Spain). Moreover, she is a member of editorial board in the International Journal of Tourism Evolution and Governance, and an assistant editor in the International Journal of Digital Accounting Research.
1. Web 2.0 concepts
2. The main social media platforms today
3. Uses of the main social media for international companies and organizations: corporate dialogue
4. Social media strategies and metrics
Teaching will take place Monday to Friday. Informal assessment will take place through group discussion, class room activities, questions and answers sessions as guided by tutor.
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- To demonstrate a basic knowledge of the functionalities of social media
- To use international information sources such as the webpages of the main Internet
- To use a structured analysis procedure and advanced metrics to evaluate social media performance
- To understand the meaning of the main Internet markup languages and how to use
- them to express information
- To clearly communicate their conclusions to third parties
- Understand the key elements of a digital marketing campaign.
- Identify the digital position of a business and how to improve their visibility online.
- Execute a social media campaign and measure its impact using metrics.
- Understand online privacy laws and best practice for social media marketing
The fees for this course have been laid out fully on our course fees page.
As course fees and accommodation costs are payable separately, it will not be possible to reduce the tuition fee cost for those students who opt to arrange their own accommodation off-campus.
£575 per week
You have a choice of accommodation options for varying prices, dependent on your preferences:
- Standard Single, DB&B: £294.00 per week
- En-suite Single, DB&B: £469.00 per week
- Self-Catered, Shared: £168.00 per week
To enhance your experience at the University of Edinburgh Summer School, a variety of social and cultural activities will be organized to allow you to explore and discover the history, traditions and beauty of Scotland whilst meeting people from across the world. Each student can participate in the social and cultural activities which are included in the course fee. A free gym membership is included as well as a variety of fun and interesting things to do and see in Edinburgh. Additionally, students can book on to day and weekend tours to explore the rest and best of Scotland (at a discounted rate for Summer School students).
Scholarship - Scottish Summer Endeavour
Scholarship application opens on 1st December
Scottish Summer Endeavour Scholarships are offered to students from all countries who can display evidence of outstanding academic merit.
The scholarship equates to a partial tuition fee waiver for any course listed on www.summerschool.ed.ac.uk.
The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit. A minimum of 3.3 GPA or equivalent is required and evidence of this must be provided along with your application.
In order to apply, you should be a full-time university/college student who can demonstrate that you meet the academic and language requirements of your preferred course.
1. Choose the course you are interested in.
2. Go to your preferred programme page and select ‘click here to apply now’, located towards the top right of your screen. This will enable you to request an application form and further guidance regarding the application process.
2. Fill out the application form and attach the documents required in order to support your application. This will include the following:
- one letter of recommendation provided by your academic referee (no longer than 500 words)
- (interim) degree transcripts
- Evidence of an internationally recognised English language qualification (if appropriate).
4. Send back the application form stating in your email that you would like to apply for the Scottish Summer Endeavour Scholarship.
5. Remember to enclose any other documents that will support your application.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: