Summer School Arabic for Beginners Summer Program
This course is for the absolute beginner. It will cover how to pronounce and write the alphabet, and learn some simple phrases such as greetings and introducing oneself.
As students will not be able to read full sentences at this stage, at first they will learn through transliteration (writing the words and phrases as they sound in English so that they can read them). It introduces the language for everyday purposes such as asking for and giving simple information, buying clothes, ordering food, etc.
Basic grammatical structures will be introduced to provide a framework for such communication. As the course progresses, the students will learn to read and write around 400 words in Arabic. The course will include both Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic (ECA).
Arabic for beginners is based on a well established curriculum that seeks to use the four skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) so that the students will be able to communicate quickly and accurately in the Arabic language.
By the end of the course, students will be comfortable communicating in Arabic in everyday situations and will have a solid understanding of basic vocabulary, the key tenses and basic grammar.
Feedback is provided on a continuous and simultaneous basis during class hours, especially during tutorial sessions, when homework and examinations are reviewed in detail. In addition, the course tutor will set Guidance and Feedback Hours that suit as many of the students taking the course as possible.
A mid Course Exam - Written (15%) and Oral (5%) will be conducted covering all the material used so far. The written exam will last 30 minutes and the oral exam 5 minutes
The Final Exam - Written (70%) and Oral (10%) will take place at the end of the course. Marks will be allocated according to language accuracy/suitability, spoken fluency, responsiveness to questions and accuracy of answers, presentations skills and evidence of preparation.
By the end of the course students will:
- have the Ability to write in the Arabic script - forming and recognizing letters in different places in the word.
- Understand over 400 items of Arabic vocabulary, including important verbs, adjectives and nouns in both singular and plural forms
- have the ability to pronounce the Arabic characters
- have confidence in communicating in a range of situations and on a variety of themes relevant to everyday life
- have the ability to use the correct grammatical structures to make sentences
The fees for this course have been laid out fully on our course fees page.
As course fees and accommodation costs are payable separately, it will not be possible to reduce the tuition fee cost for those students who opt to arrange their own accommodation off-campus.
£575 per week
You have a choice of accommodation options for varying prices, dependent on your preferences:
- Standard Single, DB&B: £294.00 per week
- En-suite Single, DB&B: £469.00 per week
- Self-Catered, Shared: £168.00 per week
To enhance your experience at the University of Edinburgh Summer School, a variety of social and cultural activities will be organized to allow you to explore and discover the history, traditions and beauty of Scotland whilst meeting people from across the world. Each student can participate in the social and cultural activities which are included in the course fee. A free gym membership is included as well as a variety of fun and interesting things to do and see in Edinburgh. Additionally, students can book on to day and weekend tours to explore the rest and best of Scotland (at a discounted rate for Summer School students).
Please note you will also need to pay for any essential books on the reading lists provided and any entrance fees for exhibits and other related fees on study visits.
Scholarship - Scottish Summer Endeavour
Scholarship application opens on 1st December
Scottish Summer Endeavour Scholarships are offered to students from all countries who can display evidence of outstanding academic merit.
The scholarship equates to a partial tuition fee waiver for any course listed on www.summerschool.ed.ac.uk.
The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit. A minimum of 3.3 GPA or equivalent is required and evidence of this must be provided along with your application.
In order to apply, you should be a full-time university/college student who can demonstrate that you meet the academic and language requirements of your preferred course.
1. Choose the course you are interested in.
2. Go to your preferred programme page and select ‘click here to apply now’, located towards the top right of your screen. This will enable you to request an application form and further guidance regarding the application process.
2. Fill out the application form and attach the documents required in order to support your application. This will include the following:
- one letter of recommendation provided by your academic referee (no longer than 500 words)
- (interim) degree transcripts
- Evidence of an internationally recognised English language qualification (if appropriate).
4. Send back the application form stating in your email that you would like to apply for the Scottish Summer Endeavour Scholarship.
5. Remember to enclose any other documents that will support your application.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: