Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and research potential to local and international candidates commencing from 1 January 2016 and undertaking a research doctoral degree.
The Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarships (VCPS) are funded by RMIT University.
Value and duration
In 2015, the VCPS provided the following benefits to recipients:
- a stipend of $41,150 per annum pro rata (full-time study) which is the equivalent to the Government APA rate plus an RMIT top up of $15,000
- a research support allowance of $5,000 per annum to support research activities
- a HDR publication award of $10,000 (payable on thesis submission). Candidates must submit their thesis within three and a half years (or equivalent part-time) to be eligible for award
- a relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave (within the limits of the Scholarship Guidelines).
If you are a local candidate, you will also receive a government-funded Research Training Scheme (RTS) place or equivalent. An RTS place is supported with a HECS exemption for the standard duration of the course. Applicants successful in receiving an RTS place are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
If you are an international candidate, you will also receive:
- tuition fees and student services and amenities fee (SSAF) for the duration of the scholarship
- the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy for the standard duration of your program.
The duration of a Vice Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship is three years full-time, with the possibility of a 6 month extension subject to satisfactory progress. This will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards a research degree prior to the commencement of the Award.
All applications will be ranked based on a model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee.
See the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- JASON a nation-wide postgraduate scholarship database
- Other scholarships at RMIT
- How to apply for a research degree
HDR Scholarships Officer, School of Graduate Research
+61 3 9925 8355