Trips to archives, visiting historical sites and conducting interviews are all essential to the work of historians.
The RHS offers a range of grants to enable research postgraduates to conduct this vital research. We provide funding to make visits to archives and to conduct other research such as interviews and site-trips both within and outside the UK. These small grants, of no more than £750, make an important contribution to primary research and often enable the completion of doctoral theses.
How to Apply
- RHS awards for research expenses both within and outside the UK are for postgraduate students registered for research degrees at UK institutions of higher education (full-time and part-time). If you are applying from a UK institution, please complete the application form for UK students.
- Under the Past & Present scheme we also consider applications from doctoral students registered for a research degree outside the UK. Doctoral candidates at non-UK institutions wishing to apply for P&P funding should complete the application form for overseas students.
- Applications are considered by the Research Support Committee which meets five times a year. They take up to four weeks to process from the deadline.
- Applications will not be considered for research to be conducted within the four weeks immediately following the deadline. You are advised to consult the schedule of closing dates and to submit your application before the deadline that is at least one month earlier than the start of your research trip.
- Please read the application form carefully for full details of criteria for your grant application.
Closing dates for applications in 2017: 23 January, 13 April, 19 June, 4 September, 6 November
All enquiries about research support applications should be addressed to the Administrative Secretary, Melanie Ransom, at: email@example.com. For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.