The President's PhD Scholarships offer an outstanding opportunity for potential PhD students.
2017-18 academic year
If you are a high performing undergraduate or Master's student and have a strong desire to undertake a PhD programme at a world class research institution, you could be selected to receive full tuition fees and a generous stipend for a PhD place at Imperial College London. The President’s PhD Scholarships aims to provide up to 50 research students with great potential the opportunity to work within their chosen research field with the support of an excellent supervisor.
Opportunities for PhD funding via this scheme are extremely competitive, with higher than usual eligibility requirements. Applicants should be confident that they are able to demonstrate outstanding academic performance before applying for this scholarship scheme. Previous successful recipients of the scholarship have ranked highly in their class, often achieving grades of 85% or higher in their degree(s).
The earliest start date for funded places is 1 August 2017, the latest start date is 1 November 2017.
Successful candidates will receive the following financial support for up to 3.5 years:
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of £20,800 per annum to assist with living costs
- A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study
- A programme of bespoke opportunities and events delivered by the Graduate School
Review and selection
Applications will be reviewed by a two-stage process:
- Candidates meeting or predicted to meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by the Department to which they have applied. Departments will select a shortlist of the very best candidates to present to the Imperial College Selection Panel for consideration.
- The final decision will be made by the Imperial College Selection Panel. The members of the panel are the Vice-Provost (Research) and the Faculty Vice-Deans for Research. The Panel will consider shortlisted candidates from all Faculties. Scholarships will be awarded to the candidates who show the most potential.
Successful candidates will receive written confirmation of their scholarship. Any offer of a PhD place will be conditional on final interview by the Department and (if applicable) on the candidate receiving the predicted qualifications.
Applicants not selected for the scholarship will automatically be considered for the PhD.
When should I expect a decision on my scholarship application?
Applications put forward for this scholarship scheme will be considered throughout the academic year.
- Applicants who apply before 11 November 2016 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 31 January 2017.
- Applicants who apply before 24 January 2017 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 31 March 2017.
- Applicants who apply before 28 March 2017 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 31 May 2017.
To APPLY ONLINE click "Further official information" below