Post-Doctor in Informatics, Big Data Analytics
The position is within Informatics. At the University of Skövde Informatics is defined as the science that addresses how information is represented, processed and communicated in artificial and natural systems, and how such systems are used and developed in order to achieve usable and effective applications and solutions for individuals, organizations or society.
Application deadline: August 4th, 2015
Reference number: HS 2015/82
The post-doctor is positioned at the School of Informatics, which is a school in expansion. Our research is internationally distinguished and our educational programs receive high rankings when it comes to both quality and cooperation with workplaces. Today there are 9 Professors and in total about 115 employees at the School of Informatics. We are now looking for more skilled colleagues.
This post-doc position focuses on research within "Big Data Analytics", i.e. analysis of large data quantities. The research is to be conducted within the BIDAF – A Big Data Analytics Framework for a Smart Society – project. The project, which is a collaboration with SICS Swedish ICT AB and Halmstad University, aims at creating a strong distributed research environment for Big Data Analytics. The BIDAF consortium consists of well-established groups in the international research community with complementary backgrounds and research focuses that together possess the tools to tackle key challenges in Big Data Analytics. Together they represent many years of experience, competence, and both applied and theoretic research within areas such as data analysis, machine learning, statistical modelling, computational platforms, distributed algorithms, uncertainty management, data fusion, and visualisation. The scientific objectives of BIDAF centres around using advanced machine learning techniques in near real-time analytics on uncertain data with high volume and velocity, in order to realize the promise of Big Data to create value for people, organisations and society. To extract this value from data is the objective of the research area Big Data Analytics. More specifically, the research will be carried out within the work package High-level Functionality and Analytics. The overall aim of this package is to define methods and techniques that increase the usefulness and usability of Big Data Analytics. The post-doctor is expected to provide:
- knowledge on how analysts solve today's analytical problems and what is needed to handle the Big Data problems of tomorrow,
- new visualization techniques for Big Data Analytics,
- applications of mixed-initiative solutions, in which analysts and algorithms operate in coordination in an integrated fashion, forming a continuous and cooperative problem solving loop, and
- a high-level framework for Big Data Analytics that enables a wider variety of end-users getting more value out of their Big Data.
The position as post-doctor mainly concerns research (up to 20 % teaching could be included). Additional assignments might be included in the position.
The qualification requirements are:
- PhD in Informatics or other relevant subject or have a foreign degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, and have obtained the PhD not longer than three years prior to the application deadline. If there are special circumstances the PhD could have been obtained earlier.
Bases of evaluation
In addition to the qualification requirements, the bases of evaluation for this position are:
- Degree of proficiency that is required for the employment (see the qualification requirements).
- Experience of research within Big Data Analytics, especially from an applied perspective and an end-user perspective.
- Good knowledge in visualisation and human-computer interaction.
- Good knowledge in machine learning, data mining, algorithmics or data modelling.
- Experience of applications in bioinformatics, fleet management or data- and telecommunications.
- Experience of teaching in Computer Science, Informatics or the equivalent.
- Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing, in English.
- Good collaboration ability.
For this position, special emphasis will be placed upon experience of research within Big Data Analytics, especially from an applied perspective and an end-user perspective, good knowledge in visualisation and human-computer interaction as well as good knowledge in machine learning, data mining, algorithmics or data modelling.
The University of Skövde strives towards ethnical and cultural diversity and equal gender distribution within all employment categories. As the majority of the employees in the School of Informatics are men, the University especially invites women to apply for this position.
The position as Post-Doctor is fulltime and done accordingly to the collective agreement between the Swedish Agency for Government Employers, OFR-S, SACO-S and SEKO. The position is a temporary position for two years.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: