PhD Student Position
IMDEA Networks Institute is a networking research institute whose multinational team is engaged in cutting-edge fundamental science. As a growing, English-speaking institute located in Madrid, Spain, IMDEA Networks offers a unique opportunity for pioneering scientists to develop their ideas. IMDEA Networks is establishing itself internationally at the forefront in the “development of future network technologies and has already incorporated highly-reputed scientists (see our research team here). Our researchers share the potential to shape the future of networking science over the coming years.
We bring together a large number of scientists performing research in fields very closely related to computer networks, to an extent that is unique in Europe. At the Institute, and teamed up with University Carlos III of Madrid (UC3M), researchers understand each other, are driven by common interests and are therefore able to collaborate in depth on leading-edge technical challenges.
Our PhD Student positions offer young, aspiring researchers a salaried position in our research team. Candidates offered a position as IMDEA Networks PhD Students will have been pre-vetted and conditionally accepted for a place on the Ph.D. program at UC3M or another top university in Madrid*.
* Please be aware that IMDEA Networks does not issue degrees and that, in most cases, as a UC3M PhD candidate you will be required to complete at least one year of masters courses, even if you already hold a masters degree. (Other universities may apply different criteria.)
Research areasNetworked Systems and AlgorithmsWireless NetworkingEnergy-efficient Networking
As illustrated by our motto – Developing the Science of Networks – IMDEA Networks identifies and addresses major scientific and engineering challenges in communications and computer networks, and also aims to develop these results by bringing them into practical deployments. The nature of these challenges varies with ever-greater rapidity. To ensure the relevance of our research activities, we continuously adjust our research agenda to stay at the forefront of technological innovation. We organize our scientific activities into research areas that reflect our current working priorities, ensuring sufficient flexibility to allow us to respond to emerging technological challenges. The research mission of our Institute also adapts to the strengths of our growing research team and our external collaborators. Currently, our research is focusing on the following three general areas:
How to apply for PhD positions
We have PhD positions for specific topics or projects, as well as positions where the research topic is not pre-defined at the time of the call. If your background and interests match one or two of the positions below, please enter the name of the corresponding supervisor(s) as “Preferred Ph.D. supervisor” in the section “Research interests and statement of purpose” of the application form. If you do not have a preference as to the PhD topic, leave this field empty.
Find more information about these openings on the following links:
- PhD in Big Data Analysis and Machine Learning (Global Computing Group) – Supervisor: Dr. Antonio Fernández Anta
- PhD in network measurements, online privacy, online tracking and applied security (Internet Analytics Group) – Supervisor: Dr. Narseo Vallina-Rodriguez
- PhD in future 5G Networks (NETCOM Lab) – Supervisor: Dr. Albert Banchs
- PhD in Software Defined Networking applied to transport networks (NETCOM Lab) – Supervisor: Dr. Arturo Azcorra
- PhD in Network Function Virtualization applied to fog computing (NETCOM Lab) – Supervisor: Dr. Arturo Azcorra
- PhD in Wireless Cooperation for Opportunistic Networks (OppArch Lab) – Supervisor: Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso
- PhD in Machine Learning for wireless network-assisted computing – Co-supervisors: Dr. Paolo Casari and Dr. Vincenzo Mancuso
Information on requirements, benefits and career associated to our PhD studentships:PhD Student - Your career choice.
To apply please fill in online form.
This position is currently open. The deadline for receipt of applications is 28 february 2017 (12:00 midday cet).
To give an example of the competitiveness of our recruitment process, please be aware that we usually open around 10 slots per year and accept less than 5% of applicants.
Candidates would be well advised to submit their applications for evaluation at the earliest opportunity ahead of the deadline.
Key Dates in ‘PhD Student positions 2017’ Application Process
- 31 October 2016 – Call open
- 28 February 2017 (12:00 midday CET) – Deadline for receipt of applications
To APPLY click "Further official information" below and fill the application form.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: