PhD Research Scholarship
In November 2005, SEARCA established the PhD Research Scholarship, which provides financial support to qualified PhD students whose researches are relevant to the priority thrusts of SEARCA (See Scholarship Statistics).
The PhD research scholarship aims to:
- Provide PhD students the opportunity to use the resources and facilities available at SEARCA and its network of universities for their research;
- Produce quality research papers for publication; and
- Enable them to work with SEARCA's R&D personnel on mutually identified areas of concerns/interests in agriculture and rural development.
Priority 1. Southeast Asian nationals who are enrolled in PhD programs in any of the member universities under the Southeast Asian University Consortium for Graduate Education in Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC)*.
Priority 2. Southeast Asian nationals who are regular staff members of government agencies or non-profit development-oriented institutions, and are PhD students of agricultural universities outside of UC.
The topic of the applicant's PhD research must be aligned with SEARCA's thrusts of Inclusive and Sustainable Agricultural and Rural Development (ISARD) towards food security and poverty alleviation in Southeast Asia. Specifically, its focus must be in any of the following areas:
Social Inclusion in Agriculture and Rural Development
- Participation of poor and vulnerable sectors of rural societies in food and agricultural value chains and agribusiness commodity systems;
- Food and nutrition security for poor and vulnerable sectors of rural societies; and
- Productivity-enhancing innovations and modern technologies.
Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development
- Natural resource management;
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation in agriculture and natural resource management; and
- Resilience of agricultural systems to climate impacts.
Regional and Sub-regional Cooperation
- Sub-regional cooperation in trade and investments; and
- Regional market, trade, and economic integration.
Institutions and Governance
Government policies, institutions, and governance mechanisms and reforms for ISARD.
Research funds not to exceed USD 4,500 and optional internship at SEARCA for up to two (2) months. For those who will avail of the internship, additional scholarship fund may be allocated to cover travel expenses to and from SEARCA, travel and accident insurance, and stipend during the period of internship.
Applicants must submit the following requirements to SEARCA:
- Filled out SEARCA PhD Research Scholarship application form; which can be found in "Further official information" below this article.
- Letter of application for the research scholarship which should be addressed to the SEARCA Director;
- Recommendation letter from the Dean of Graduate School of the university where the applicant is pursuing the degree program;
- Dissertation research outline/proposal approved by the Advisory Committee and Dean of Graduate School;
- Budgetary requirement for the entire research duly attested and recommended by the major adviser and Dean of Graduate School;
- True copy of grades for courses taken, certified by the Graduate School;
- Letter from the applicant certifying that he/she is not receiving any other research grant from any other institution. If partial funding has been obtained from other sources, applicant must submit a certification from the funding agency indicating the grant amount and items covered by the grant;
- Research timetable indicating the activities involved in the research, and the expected date of defense.
Due to the limited amount of grant per scholarship, preference shall be given to researches that are not laboratory-based.
Applications must be submitted directly to SEARCA. Deadline for filing of application is 30 April (first batch) and 30 September (2nd batch) of every year with grants to be awarded in 15 July and 15 December of same year, respectively.
*University Consortium members are Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB), Bogor, Indonesia; Kasetsart University (KU), Bangkok, Thailand; Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM), Yogyakarta, Indonesia; Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Selangor, Malaysia; and University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), Laguna, Philippines.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: