The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from PhD candidates in the general area of wireless communications and networking. SnT is carrying out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners. Recently, Prof. Bjorn Ottersten Director of SnT, has been awarded the prestigious European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant to pursue research on caching algorithms with applications to content delivery networks.
The University of Luxembourg is looking for its Interdisciplinary Centre of Security and Trust (SNT) for a :
PhD Positions in Machine Learning for Caching in 5G Wireless Content Delivery Networks
- Réf: R-STR-5010-00-B
- Fixed Term Contract up to 3 years in total, pending satisfaction of progress milestones (CDD), on full time basis (40hrs/week)
- Number of positions: at least 1
The Centre is rapidly expanding its research activities and is seeking highly motivated PhD candidates who wish to contribute to its partnership and ERC research projects. The proliferation of smart handsets and data-hungry applications have put stringent rate and latency requirements for future content delivery networks. Proactive edge caching is one of promising techniques to not only reduce the backhaul load but also the perceived latency and subsequently improve user quality of experience. The key challenge in proactive caching is to accurately estimate the content popularity statistics and exploit them to optimize the communication strategy and system resource allocation using machine learning techniques.
The successful candidates will join a strong and motivated research team lead by Prof. Björn Ottersten and Dr. Symeon Chatzinotas in order to pursue a PhD on the following topic:
- Machine Learning for Caching in 5G Wireless Content Delivery Networks
The position holders will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Carrying out research in the predefined areas
- Disseminating results through scientific publications and conference presentations
- Participating in proposal drafting
- Assisting in organization of relevant workshops
Qualification: The candidates should possess an MSc degree or equivalent in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or Applied Mathematics.
The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and experience in a number of the following topics:
- Cache-enabled wireless networks
- Resource allocation and optimization
- Cross layer design and optimization of communication systems
- Applications of machine learning in communication systemsand be familiar with the principles of
- Optimization theory
- Machine learning
- Linear algebra
- Multivariate calculus and statistics
Development skills in MATLAB or C++ are required.
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.
How to Apply
Application should include:
- Full CV, including list of publications and contact details of two referees
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
- Research statement and topics of particular interest to the candidate (300 words).
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply ONLINE.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: