PhD Fellowship in Nanoparticles and Effects on Male Reproductive Function
The Department of Large Animal Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen and the National Research Centre for the Working Environment are offering a PhD scholarship commencing January 1st, 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter - provided the expected funding is given from the Danish Nanosafety Centre.
Nanoparticles and effects on male reproductive function
In this PhD project, you will be responsible for conducting research on the effect of airway exposure to certain nanoparticles on male reproductive function based on semen parameters and histological spermatogenesis. Effects of direct exposure of adult animals as well as indirect exposure of the F1-F4 generation via maternal exposure during pregnancy will be investigated in detail. You will engage in all practical aspects of your PhD project; animal experimentation will be conducted in collaboration with laboratory technicians and animal keepers at the Danish Center for Nanosafety; laboratory work on male reproductive parameters will be performed predominantly at the Department of Large Animal Sciences.
The project will be conducted both at the Department of Large Animal Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen and the Danish Center for Nanosafety, National Research Centre for the Working Environment. You will have a working place at both institutions and collaborate with two exciting and highly motivated teams.
A master degree within life science is required (e.g. cand. scient., med. vet. or pharm.). The successful candidate should be interested in performing studies in experimental animals, and preferably already holds experience in this field together with a permission to conduct animal studies. Ideally, the candidate does also have experience with nanotoxicology and/or molecular biological techniques (qRT-PCR etc.). A solid level of spoken and written English is essential for performing the research, as publication and presentation of scientific results are a major focus of the project.
Previous experience with toxicology studies, personal license for performing animal experimentation and good communication skills will be considered an advantage.
Your key tasks as a PhD student at SUND are:
• Carry through an independent research project under supervision
• Complete PhD courses or other equivalent education corresponding to approx. 30 ECTS points
• Participate in active research environments including a stay at another research team
• Obtain experience with teaching or other types of dissemination related to your PhD project
• Teach and disseminate your research
• Write a PhD thesis on the grounds of your project
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
Applicants must have qualifications corresponding to a master’s degree related to the subject area of the project e.g.
Other important criteria are:
• The grade point average achieved
• Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
• Previous publications
• Relevant work experience
• Other professional activities
• Language skills
Terms of employment
The position is available for a 3-year period.
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organizations. The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2013.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
• Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
• Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
• Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any),
• Full contact details (Name, address, telephone & email) of 1-3 professional referees
• Documentation of English language qualifications, cf. general rules and guidelines, p. 5
The deadline for applications is Sunday 8th November 2015. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read more about the recruitment process.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: