The Higher Education Commission of Pakistan is an independent, autonomous, and constitutionally established institution of primary funding, overseeing, regulating, and accrediting the higher education efforts in Pakistan.
The final stages of doctoral studies are the most critical. They are the make-or-break points of several years of hard work and research. However, unforeseen circumstances can put all this effort into serious jeopardy, whether it is financial burdens or time constraints. This is particularly problematic for overseas students.
The Higher Education Commission has instituted a special financial scheme to provide relief to students facing such problems. Through this scheme, monetary support can be provided to overseas scholars who require partial assistance (e.g. tuition, thesis evaluation/submission fee, living expenditure, etc.) in the final stages of their doctoral studies. This applies to PhD students who need this support to complete their studies, or do so in a shorter time period so they can return home earlier. This scheme also extends to the faculty members of public sector universities/DAIs who are enrolled in a PhD program abroad.
- To provide a safety net to students and faculty members studying abroad for their PhD
- To contribute to producing the next generation of scientists, researchers and scholars in the public education sector
- To strengthen the linkages between Pakistani and foreign universities.
Every year, approximately 50 scholars are selected for the Overseas Partial Support program. Application details are available in the following pages.
Under the Partial Support for PhD Program, HEC will grant successful applicants a one-time award with a maximum amount of US $15,000. The amount can cover tuition fee, research or study related expenses, or living allowances.
Applicants have to fill out the requisite form for the program, along with official documents detailing the fee/expenses for which the assistance is required.
All payments due to the university/institution are paid directly to the institute, while individual payments (e.g. living allowances) will be given through the Pakistan Consulate in the foreign country or its subsidiary office.
The program is open for applications the entire year. Meetings are held every quarter for the selection of individuals who will receive the award.
- Selected applicants must submit an Agreement and Surety Bond. The Bond will be endorsed by a Guarantor living in Pakistan. The Bond commits the applicant to come back after the completion of his/her studies and serve the country for at least 2 years.
- CNIC copies of all witnesses that have been provided in the Surety Bond must be provided.
In addition to the application form, applicants need to send the following documents:
- Attested photocopies of all academic documents including degrees, certificates, and transcripts.
- Detailed CV
- Attested photocopies of National ID Card and Pakistani Passport showing a valid Visa of the foreign country.
- Supporting letter from the university where the student is enrolled.
- Supporting letter with surety bond from parent public sector organization / university in Pakistan.
- Letter from the host university account section with full financial details.
- Surety bond with HEC for 2 years (non-faculty/ Pakistani citizens).
To download the application form, please click on the "Further official information" link below.