Monash University Faculty of Science Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Faculty of Science Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarships are offered to international students for full-time graduate research studies within the Faculty of Science at Monash University. The scholarship is provided to cover the tuition fees set by Monash and payable by the awardee for each year of the course. The scholarship also meets the cost of standard Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the awardee.
Persons intending to undertake a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master's of Science (MSc) by research or Master's of Philosophy (MPhil) by research are eligible to be nominated by schools for this award.
The Faculty of Science Research Degrees Committee (RDC) administers the scholarship scheme on behalf of the Senior Science Management Committee.
There are no age restrictions relating to these awards.
Awardees must meet international student visa requirements as specified by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- Student: a person enrolled in a higher degree by research (HDR) program.
- Code of practice for supervision of doctoral and research Master's candidates: part of chapter 5 of the Handbook for Doctoral Degrees and the Handbook for Research Master's Degrees produced by the Monash Institute of Graduate Research (MIGR) that details the responsibilities of Monash University, the school, supervisor(s), and student with respect to research candidature.
- Faculty of Science Research Office: the Faculty of Science Research Office located on the Clayton campus. Contact details are given in Section 13: Further information of this document.
- Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS): a graduate research scholarship administered by the Monash Graduate Education.
- Monash Graduate Research Services: an administrative centre of the university responsible for admission to doctoral and Master's by research programs. They also administer a range of centrally allocated scholarships and coordinate annual progress reporting for doctoral students and master's by research students.
- Research Degrees Committee (RDC): a committeae of the Faculty of Science that meets to review matters relating to postgraduate coursework and higher degrees by research (HDR) management and policy.
- Graduate Research Committee (GRC): a committee of the university responsible for administering the university's doctoral and research award programs.
- School: a school of the Faculty of Science.
The Faculty of Science Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarship is offered for full-time research at a HDR level (MSc, MPhil and PhD).
In addition, awards will only be available to international students (including those holding a New Zealand permanent residence visa) who:
- are commencing their postgraduate research studies in the Faculty of Science at Monash University;
- have enrolled in a higher degree by research program (MSc, MPhil and PhD);
- hold H1 or H1 equivalent (H1E) academic qualifications as per http://intranet.monash.edu.au/migr/staff/scholarships/selection/proc13.html; and
Faculty of Science Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarships are notavailable to those who:
- are not also supported by a Monash University funded Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS) or a Faculty of Science Dean's Postgraduate Research Scholarship (DPRS); or where a stipend-paying scholarship (at a minimum stipend rate equivalent to an APA or MGS and covering the same period of candidature) is paid from a recognised external scholarship granting body or research grant held by the supervisor/s;
- are reliant on the use of private funds to support living expenses;
- have already completed a doctoral degree or equivalent;
- have already completed a research master's degree or equivalent unless intending to undertake a doctoral degree;
- are already enrolled in a higher degree by research (MSc, MPhil, PhD) and are in receipt of tuition scholarship support from other funding sources;
- have already been enrolled for more than two and a half years in a PhD or one year in a research Master's (MPhil or MSc) program;
Additional criteria for award of scholarship
- Scholarships are only available to those who are nominated by the School in which they will be enrolled into undertake the approved HDR program.
Receipt of a stipend/living allowance
Awardees must concurrently receive a stipend or living allowance at a minimum stipend rate equivalent to an APA or MGS and covering the same period of candidature.
Termination of scholarship
Awards will be terminated before this time:
- if it is determined that the awardee has not fulfilled his/her obligations, has not meet the eligibility criteria or fails to maintain satisfactory progress;
- if the awardee's enrolment is terminated, the awardee is found guilty of academic misconduct or of the awardee fails to maintain their enrolment;
- if the awardee relinquishes the scholarship or withdraws from the course;
- when the awardee ceases to be a full-time student engaged in full-time research;
- if the awardee does not resume study at the end of a period of approved leave or does not make arrangements to extend the period of approved leave;
- if the awardee converts to external student or writing up away;
- on the granting of permanent resident status to the student. Awardees will be required to meet the tuition fees owing, where they fail to advise the Faculty of Science Research Office of any change in visa status.
- if, in the opinion of the Research Degrees Committee, the course of study is not being carried out with competence and diligence or in accordance with the offer of the award, and no suitable alternative arrangements can be made for continuation of the degree;
- if the awardee fails to apply for an Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) or Monash International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (MIPRS) in any of the mid-year or end-of-year rounds for which they are eligible for an IPRS, if asked to do so by their School;
If a scholarship is terminated, it cannot be re-activated unless the termination occurred in error.
Please contact the following should you have any queries. It is important that you are fully aware of your obligations under these Conditions of Award.
Faculty of Science Research Office
14 Rainforest Walk
MONASH UNIVERSITY VIC 3800
+61 3 9905 9052
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: