Monash University Faculty of Science Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
Faculty of Science Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarships are offered to international students for full-time graduate research studies within the Faculty of Science at Monash University. The scholarship is provided to cover the tuition fees set by Monash and payable by the awardee for each year of the course. The scholarship also meets the cost of standard Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the awardee.
Persons intending to undertake a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master's of Science (MSc) by research or Master's of Philosophy (MPhil) by research are eligible to be nominated by schools for this award.
The Faculty of Science Research Degrees Committee (RDC) administers the scholarship scheme on behalf of the Senior Science Management Committee.
There are no age restrictions relating to these awards.
Awardees must meet international student visa requirements as specified by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- Student: a person enrolled in a higher degree by research (HDR) program.
- Code of practice for supervision of doctoral and research Master's candidates: part of chapter 5 of the Handbook for Doctoral Degrees and the Handbook for Research Master's Degrees produced by the Monash Institute of Graduate Research (MIGR) that details the responsibilities of Monash University, the school, supervisor(s), and student with respect to research candidature.
- Faculty of Science Research Office: the Faculty of Science Research Office located on the Clayton campus. Contact details are given in Section 13: Further information of this document.
- Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS): a graduate research scholarship administered by the Monash Graduate Education.
- Monash Graduate Research Services: an administrative centre of the university responsible for admission to doctoral and Master's by research programs. They also administer a range of centrally allocated scholarships and coordinate annual progress reporting for doctoral students and master's by research students.
- Research Degrees Committee (RDC): a committeae of the Faculty of Science that meets to review matters relating to postgraduate coursework and higher degrees by research (HDR) management and policy.
- Graduate Research Committee (GRC): a committee of the university responsible for administering the university's doctoral and research award programs.
- School: a school of the Faculty of Science.
Termination of scholarship
Awards will be terminated before this time:
- if it is determined that the awardee has not fulfilled his/her obligations, has not meet the eligibility criteria or fails to maintain satisfactory progress;
- if the awardee's enrolment is terminated, the awardee is found guilty of academic misconduct or of the awardee fails to maintain their enrolment;
- if the awardee relinquishes the scholarship or withdraws from the course;
- when the awardee ceases to be a full-time student engaged in full-time research;
- if the awardee does not resume study at the end of a period of approved leave or does not make arrangements to extend the period of approved leave;
- if the awardee converts to external student or writing up away;
- on the granting of permanent resident status to the student. Awardees will be required to meet the tuition fees owing, where they fail to advise the Faculty of Science Research Office of any change in visa status.
- if, in the opinion of the Research Degrees Committee, the course of study is not being carried out with competence and diligence or in accordance with the offer of the award, and no suitable alternative arrangements can be made for continuation of the degree;
- if the awardee fails to apply for an Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) or Monash International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (MIPRS) in any of the mid-year or end-of-year rounds for which they are eligible for an IPRS, if asked to do so by their School;
If a scholarship is terminated, it cannot be re-activated unless the termination occurred in error.
Please contact the following should you have any queries. It is important that you are fully aware of your obligations under these Conditions of Award.
Faculty of Science Research Office
14 Rainforest Walk
MONASH UNIVERSITY VIC 3800
+61 3 9905 9052