Macquarie University has a mid-year Scholarship Allocation of 30 iMQRES (for international) and 20 MQRES (for Domestic) scholarships available to newly commencing PhD candidates only.
You must meet Macquarie's direct PhD admission and scholarship criteria.
International candidates must submit their applications before 30 September 2015*.
Domestic candidates must submit their applications before 31 October 2015*.
Successful candidates must commence by 15 December 2015.
Applicants are encouraged to Apply Now and required supporting documentation needs to be provided at application stage to avoid processing delays.
*These scholarships will be offered to the first approved 30 international and 20 domestic PhD offers and allocations may be consumed before these indicated dates.
Macquarie University funds Higher Degree Research (HDR) scholarships through the Macquarie Research Excellence Scholarship Scheme (MQRES) for both international and domestic candidates. We fund postgraduate candidates of exceptional research promise and develop researchers with a proven capacity for research.
The Strategic Research Framework 2015 – 2024 is our roadmap by which we deliver
World-Leading Research with World-Changing Impact
- 85% of our research is rated world standard or higher (Excellence in Research for Australia, 2012)
- 120 researchers ranked in the top 1 per cent in the world (Essential Science Indicators, 2014)
- More than 100 partner universities in more than 30 countries for Cotutelle and joint PhD
- More than 1,900 HDR candidates
- $1 Billion invested in infrastructure and facilities in recent years
Value and tenure
The iMQRES covers international tuition fees for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). In addition to the tuition fees covered under the MQRES program, Macquarie University offers international awardees a matching living allowance stipend for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time PhD, valued at $25,849 per annum tax exempt (2015 rate) paid as a fortnightly stipend.
The MQRES offers domestic awardees a living allowance stipend for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time PhD valued at $25,849 per annum tax exempt (2015 rate) paid as a fortnightly stipend. The Australian Government supports Domestic candidates through the Research Training Scheme (RTS) and they do not pay fees.
These scholarships will be made to the first approved 30 international and 20 domestic PhD offers.
Once all scholarships have been allocated there will be no further 2015 general scholarships available.
These scholarships require applicants to be:
- Newly commencing PhD candidates (not available to enrolled candidates) Enrolled candidates are encouraged to apply through the general competitive annual rounds (IPRS – international candidates and APA – Domestic candidates)
- Eligible for direct entry into the 3 three year PhD program and applicants must meet English Language Requirements. Read the eligibility requirements for PhD - http://hdr.mq.edu.au/information_about/research_degrees/doctor_of_philosophy_phd.
- Candidates who have currently been offered Candidature for 2015 commencement and have not yet enrolled in their PhD program are eligible to apply for these scholarships if they can commence by 15 December 2015.
- Candidates are expected to undertake full time, on-site candidature at Macquarie University by 15 December 2015.
- An offer cannot be deferred beyond 2015
- Bundle offers will not be offered as part of this round
- Currently enrolled Master of Research (MRes) candidates are not eligible to apply for these allocations.*
*MRes candidates progressing to PhD in 2015 (for those currently undergoing examination) will not be included in these scholarships. These progressing MRes to PhD candidates are considered separately based on their MRes final outcome. If they achieve a final mark of 85 or above, then they will be considered for a 3 year PhD scholarship. Therefore current MRes candidates should not be applying for the above scholarships.
Successful applicants will usually have:
- an outstanding academic record
- a history of scholarships and prizes at the undergraduate level
- and may have evidence of peer-reviewed research activity, such as publications and/or conference presentations.
Applications are open now.
Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications via eApplication - https://mqu.t1cloud.com/T1SMDefault/WebApps/eStudent/SM/eApplications/eAppLogin.aspx?r=%24S1.EST.PREAPPLICANT&f=%24S1.EAP.CI2LOGIN.WEB. Paper-based applications will also be accepted. Emailed applications are not accepted.
Applicants should write "2015 Mid-Year MQRES" under "Other scholarships" for these allocations when you apply online or write"2015 Mid-Year MQRES" under "Other" on the paper based application.
Incomplete applications cannot be considered and all required supporting documentation needs to be provided at application stage to avoid processing delays.
International candidates also need to take into consideration visa application processing timelines.
Scholarships officers, Higher Degree Research office
Phone: (02) 9850 1893 or (02) 9850 9782
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: