The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi Matsumae's call. While many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder's ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.
Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be under 49 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present.
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF.
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
PERIOD & NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS
Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 months to 6 months, and the commencing month and ending month between April 2016 to March 2017. (e.g. 5 months from June 2016 to October 2017).
MIF plans to invite about 20 persons.
HOST INSTITUTION IN JAPAN
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are cautioned that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. MIF cannot give counsel or advice to an applicant concerning his/her host institution in Japan.
Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. To obtain the announcement, write to MIF with name and address by postal mail, or by E-mail. Or, download the announcement from the webpage of MIF and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
Application must be submitted from the applicant's home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
MIF never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail.
Applications must be received by MIF by August 31, 2015, at the latest.
All of the following documents (#1~#8) - A4 in size - should be submitted on one occasion by the applicant to MIF.
All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted.
Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected.
MIF will not be responsible for costs incurred in submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary. All documents received become the property of MIF, and will not be returned.
MIF will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents.
#1. Application Form (Applicants should use the original Form provided by MIF, or an exact photocopy. A self-made Form is not accepted.)
The form is made of two pages. Applicant should attach photograph taken within three months. Applicants should ensure that every item in the application form, without exception, is properly filled in the spaces provided. (Please complete all questions.) Applicants should sign and date in the form.
#2. The Research Project
Applicant should describe this document by oneself.
This should include detailed information on the purpose, methodology, content of the research, and the schedule of the project. The research project must be discussed in detail with the host scientist, and the planned content must be consistent with the research facilities at the host institution.
#3. Complete List of Publications
This should include full details of the publication: when and where published, co-authors' names (where applicable), size and number of pages, etc. Please indicate in red the title of any publications on the list which are submitted as requested in item "#4".
#4. A reprint of what the applicant considers to be his/her the most important publication.
If the reprint in English is unavailable, please attach a brief abstract (summary) in English written by the applicant.
#5. Personal History (Curriculum Vitae)
#6. A letter of recommendation from the applicant's employer and/or supervisor (e.g. Faculty Dean) testifying to academic ability and achievements, and confirming the availability of study leave covering the grant period.
#7. A certified copy of the applicant's academic certificates (degrees of Ph.D., Master, Bachelor) issued by the university concerned. (These documents should be in English. If the certificate(s) is unavailable in English, please attach the translation in English.)
#8. An invitation letter with signature by the scientist of host institution confirming;
the period of stay, the research project, the availability of research facilities/materials, and the arrangement of lodging accommodation, under MIF Fellowship Program.
(The format is free. E-mail is not accepted.)
SCREENING & NOTIFICATION OF RESULT OF AN APPLICATION
- Applications are examined by the Screening Committee of MIF on the basis of academic value and the degree of perfection of the research projects.
- The results will be sent directly to the applicants after the deadline of application, by the end of December, 2015.
- MIF will send a Grant Letter to successful applicants.
- MIF does not issue announcements concerning the screening progress, nor will MIF respond to inquiries concerning the status of such applications.
- When the decisions of the Screening Committee are announced, MIF will neither announce the reasons for the decision nor respond to individual inquiry concerning results.
The following financial support is provided to successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available.
Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
Stipend for research and stay ...... ¥220,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
Insurance .....Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air transportation ...... An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by MIF for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than MIF.
Lump sum on arrival ..... ¥120,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
SOME NOTICES CONCERNING FELLOWSHIP CONDITION
- The fellowship grant is restricted to the period indicated in the Grant Letter. Extension/reduction of the granted period is not allowed.
- The invitation by MIF is limited only to the successful applicant specified in the Grant Letter. MIF neither does concern successful applicant’s family/dependents nor provides any assistance (entry procedure of Japan, flight arrangement, etc.) for them.
- During the fellowship stay in Japan by MIF, any temporary leave of Japan is not allowed, even though it is a single day.
WITHDRAWAL OF FELLOWSHIP
- In the event that any of the offenses described below is ascertained, the Matsumae International Foundation reserves the right to terminate its grant, rescind the fellowship status of the offender, and immediately inform all concerned parties (immigration authorities, host institution, etc.) of the situation.
The recipient should return all the fellowship grants from MIF.
(1) Facts which are inconsistent with the rules and regulations set forth in the Fellowship announcement, the grant letter, and/or related documents.
(2) False statements or unilateral modification of statements in application forms, the grant letter, and/or related documents.
(3) Failure of the recipient to notify MIF of past, current or anticipated grants or benefits from other institutions
which duplicate in whole or in part those of the Matsumae International Foundation.
- Should the recipient be refused by his/her host scientist after his/her arrival in Japan due to level of required capability and/or behaviors in research activities in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
EXAMPLES of WITHDRAWAL:
(1) Should the recipient fail to notify MIF of past stay and study in Japan under a fellowship grant from another institution, and MIF learns of that fact after his/her arrival in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
(2) Should the recipient fail to notify MIF that he/she has accepted a grant from another institution, and MIF learns of the fact after his/her arrival in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
(3) In the event that the recipient notifies MIF of his/her acceptance of a grant from another institution, MIF will carefully examine the content of that grant and reserves the right to withdraw its Fellowship.
(4) Should the recipient the host institution, the Fellowship will be rescinded.
(5) Should the recipient change the period of stay in Japan, the Fellowship will be rescinded.
SERVICES FOR FELLOWS
To promote deeper understanding of Japan, the Matsumae International Foundation organizes a Study Tour during the invitation period in Japan.
Each year, MIF issues a "Research Report" containing voluntary reports received from the MIF research fellows upon the completion of the MIF research fellowship stay in Japan.
In order to keep in touch with fellows after their return home, MIF issues "Newsletter" and "Fellowship Directory."
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: