The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization. Its Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi Matsumae's call. While many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder's ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.
Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be under 49 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present.
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF.
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
PERIOD & NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS
Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 months to 6 months, and the commencing month and ending month between April 2016 to March 2017. (e.g. 5 months from June 2016 to October 2017).
MIF plans to invite about 20 persons.
HOST INSTITUTION IN JAPAN
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are cautioned that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. MIF cannot give counsel or advice to an applicant concerning his/her host institution in Japan.
Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. To obtain the announcement, write to MIF with name and address by postal mail, or by E-mail. Or, download the announcement from the webpage of MIF and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
Application must be submitted from the applicant's home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
MIF never receives applications by Fax or E-Mail.
Applications must be received by MIF by August 31, 2015, at the latest.
The following financial support is provided to successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available.
Fellowships are provided for successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
Stipend for research and stay ...... ¥220,000 yen is provided monthly for the purpose of payment of tuition, expenses for research materials, lodging, meals, transportation, etc.
Insurance .....Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, and (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air transportation ...... An economy-class round-trip air ticket between the international airport nearest to successful applicant’s home residence and Tokyo via most direct routing is provided. The provided air ticket cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash be provided by MIF for purchase of an air ticket by any individual or organization other than MIF.
Lump sum on arrival ..... ¥120,000 yen is provided to assist with local travel expenses on arrival, the initial cost of lodging, etc.
SOME NOTICES CONCERNING FELLOWSHIP CONDITION
- The fellowship grant is restricted to the period indicated in the Grant Letter. Extension/reduction of the granted period is not allowed.
- The invitation by MIF is limited only to the successful applicant specified in the Grant Letter. MIF neither does concern successful applicant’s family/dependents nor provides any assistance (entry procedure of Japan, flight arrangement, etc.) for them.
- During the fellowship stay in Japan by MIF, any temporary leave of Japan is not allowed, even though it is a single day.
WITHDRAWAL OF FELLOWSHIP
- In the event that any of the offenses described below is ascertained, the Matsumae International Foundation reserves the right to terminate its grant, rescind the fellowship status of the offender, and immediately inform all concerned parties (immigration authorities, host institution, etc.) of the situation.
The recipient should return all the fellowship grants from MIF.
(1) Facts which are inconsistent with the rules and regulations set forth in the Fellowship announcement, the grant letter, and/or related documents.
(2) False statements or unilateral modification of statements in application forms, the grant letter, and/or related documents.
(3) Failure of the recipient to notify MIF of past, current or anticipated grants or benefits from other institutions
which duplicate in whole or in part those of the Matsumae International Foundation.
- Should the recipient be refused by his/her host scientist after his/her arrival in Japan due to level of required capability and/or behaviors in research activities in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
EXAMPLES of WITHDRAWAL:
(1) Should the recipient fail to notify MIF of past stay and study in Japan under a fellowship grant from another institution, and MIF learns of that fact after his/her arrival in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
(2) Should the recipient fail to notify MIF that he/she has accepted a grant from another institution, and MIF learns of the fact after his/her arrival in Japan, the Fellowship will be immediately rescinded.
(3) In the event that the recipient notifies MIF of his/her acceptance of a grant from another institution, MIF will carefully examine the content of that grant and reserves the right to withdraw its Fellowship.
(4) Should the recipient the host institution, the Fellowship will be rescinded.
(5) Should the recipient change the period of stay in Japan, the Fellowship will be rescinded.
SERVICES FOR FELLOWS
To promote deeper understanding of Japan, the Matsumae International Foundation organizes a Study Tour during the invitation period in Japan.
Each year, MIF issues a "Research Report" containing voluntary reports received from the MIF research fellows upon the completion of the MIF research fellowship stay in Japan.
In order to keep in touch with fellows after their return home, MIF issues "Newsletter" and "Fellowship Directory."