The Programme is based on an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the history and culture of the Black Sea region. The study and interpretation of the historical and cultural data of this region, an area of increasing geopolitical and economic importance, will provide the student with an outstanding opportunity to specialize in a research domain of such significance in our times.
The Black Sea region, with its special geophysical and cultural characteristics, is regaining significance as a geopolitical region between Europe and Asia. The important natural resources and the crucial position of the region at the hub of international routes has aroused the interest of many nations over the ages, leading to numerous events of great cultural and historical significance.
The Black Sea region continues to be one of the great international gateways, of considerable importance for Europe as well as for Asia and the East. Over the last decades, research institutions and university departments all over the world have promoted research programmes concentrating on this region of such rich scientific material.
The MA in Black Sea Studies provides specialised education in diverse areas of interest such as Archaeology, History, Ethnography, Historical Geography, Art, Religion, Mythology, Politics, Diplomacy and Economy. The Master's Programme 'MA in Black Sea Studies' promotes learning and teaching characterized by a diversity of teaching methods.
To be considered for an MA programme, candidates are required to have:
- a good university degree (original transcripts) from a recognised University
- proof of English competence (Proficiency, recently acquired IELTS or TOEFL)
- Two academic references
- a personal interview may be required
When to apply
The IHU operates on a rolling admissions basis. This means that candidates apply for and are admitted to our programmes all year round. We suggest, however, that you apply as early as possible to ensure a quick response and place availability. Please ensure that you complete the application form fully, as described below, and submit all your supporting documents for us to make an informed decision.
To apply for a master's programme at the IHU, you will need to provide the following documents:
- a completed application form, including personal statement (500 words). Click here to select the application form for the programme you wish to apply to.
- All candidates should have a good university degree in a relevant subject from a recognised University. In evidence of this, candidates should provide the following:
- For graduates of Greek Universities, a clearly legible photocopy or scanned copy of your degree certificate and transcripts, detailing the courses studied and grades attained (under Law 4250/14 certificates and documents of all Greek public entities submitted to other Greek public entities are not required to be originals or certified copies).
- For graduates of non-Greek institutions, certified copies of your degree certificate and transcripts are required, detailing the courses studied and grades attained.
- two academic references
- proof of competence in English
- two recent passport-size photographs
- a copy of your CV
Applying by post
Please download the forms below and return them together with your documents to the following address:
International Hellenic University
School of Humanities Admissions Office
14 km Thessaloniki-Moudania