Leiden University Department of Business Studies PhD Position in HRM/OB
The Department of Business Studies of Leiden University has a vacancy for:
PhD Position in HRM/OB (Business Administration) (1.0 fte)
Vacancy number: 15-326
Research and theory in company distress and decline increasingly stresses the importance of the context in which organizational problems and stakeholder conflicts arise and are addressed. This PhD project seeks to enhance our understanding of the personal, behavioral and contextual influences on the success and failure of strategic renewal, reorganization, turnaround management and business rescue. As a member of Business Studies, the PhD position is supervised by Prof. Jan Adriaanse, Head of Department.
- To write and defend a PhD thesis;
- To present work at international conferences (co-authored);
- To submit research results for publication in international peer-reviewed journals (co-authored);
- To take part in PhD training offered by Leiden University where appropriate;
- To undertake/participate in limited teaching in year 2 and 3 of the appointment.
The department seeks to employ a highly motivated and proactive candidate who can work independently as well as part of a team.
You have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree, in one of the following fields: organizational studies, (organizational) psychology, methodology, statistics, sociology, human resources, management studies, strategic management, marketing, entrepreneurship, small business, business administration;
You have good knowledge of research databases (e.g. EBSCO, ScienceDirect, Emerald), quantitative methods (e.g. surveys, experiments, econometrics), quantitative techniques (e.g. factor analysis, ANOVA, regression), and software (e.g. AMOS, SPSS, Qualtrics);
You have a passion for organisational research and good academic writing skills in English;
- You are able to make links between the profession, research and education.
- Your thesis shows well-developed research skills (both analytical and descriptive). The ability to work with statistical packages and databases is a great advantage and the thesis should have received a good grade. A publication, conference contribution, or other research output / contribution / collaboration is an advantage.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an e-mail to Mrs. Nannette Rader; firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure that you enclose the following additional documents in pdf format quoting the vacancy number 15-326.
- A cover letter (max 2 pages) stating how your skills and experience relate to the selection criteria and project description above;
A short first research proposal including short bibliography (max. 3 pages) in relation to the turnaround management research program;
Your curriculum vitae (CV), including publications if applicable;
Your Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis or other major writing sample;
Copies of your academic transcripts (e.g. B.A./B.Sc., M.A./M.Sc.);
If your native language is not English, examples or proofs of your English language proficiency;
The names and contact details (with emails) of three academic referees who know you(r work) well; one should be your Master’s thesis supervisor.
Only applications received before 24 December 2015 can be considered. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview (in person or over Skype).
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.