La Trobe University Industry Focussed PhD Scholarships
La Trobe University Centre for Technology Infusion (CTI), is a Research and Innovation Centre, incorporated within the School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences in the College of Science, Health and Engineering. The core strength of the Centre is in applied research with focus on transitioning the research outcomes into commercial innovations targeting high impact application areas.
The Centre would like to invite applications for 2 Industry Focussed PhD scholarships in one of the following areas:
- Radio Frequency (RF) Design
- RF Integrated Circuit (IC) Design
- Digital/Analogue IC Design
Each PhD candidate will receive a stipend of $30,000 per annum for 3 years (tax exempt), plus a top-up scholarship of $3,000 for exceptional candidates as assessed by the selection committee. The Industry Focussed PhD program will include approximately 1.5 years of direct hands-on involvement on an Industry sponsored commercial R&D project (including mentoring from the Industry partner), and further 1.5 years of continued research in the Centre towards completing the requirements of the PhD program.
Applicants should have an Undergraduate or Postgraduate degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering or closely related fields with First Class Honours (or an equivalent high GPA/Grade for international candidates). Candidates with two or more years of related professional work experience are highly encouraged to apply and are more likely to be successful.
Desired attributes for candidates applying for a place in RF Engineering or RF IC Design areas include:
- Strong theoretical knowledge of wireless systems
- Demonstrated practical skills with RF circuit design, simulation, and test
- For RFIC Design, the candidates should have prior experience/training in Industry standard EDA tools
Desired attributes for candidates applying for a place in Digital/Analogue IC Design area include:
- Strong theoretical knowledge of electronic circuits and systems
- Experience in Computer Architecture Engineering, Low Power VLSI design, and Analogue/Digital circuit design
- Experience with Industry standard IC design tools, e.g. Synopsys, Cadence and Corner/Monte Carlo simulations will be highly regarded
- Practical skills in FPGA/ASIC design from RTL to GDS, leading to a tape-out
Interested candidates are requested to send their application by 31st of January, 2016 (AEST time zone). Please ensure that your application includes the following:
- A brief cover letter addressing the requirements
- Up to date CV with the list of publications (if any)
- Scanned copies of original academic transcript(s) (with English translations for international students certified by the Registrar of the issuing institution or by an accredited translator)
- Contact details of two referees
- Evidence or plans for meeting English language requirements (for international students; please refer to the following link for more information: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/how-to-apply/international/english-and-academic-requirements/english-language-requirements)
Please submit all supporting documentation as above in a single pdf file while completing the online application process.
Shortlisted candidates may be interviewed at the discretion of the selection committee and their referees will be contacted (over the phone or by email).
Dr. Aniruddha Desai
Director, Centre for Technology Infusion
+61 3 9479 1242
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: