ICFJ Knight Fellowship, Latin America
The International Center for Journalists seeks outstanding applicants with a background in digital journalism for a one-year ICFJ Knight Fellowship in Central America, Mexico and/or Colombia. The goal: to strengthen investigative reporting through the adoption of new digital technologies, increase the ability of news organizations to produce high-impact in-depth news reports and create a cadre of investigative reporters with strong regional and international connections.
In this role, the Fellow will:
- Build the capacity for media outlets and journalists in Central America (especially Nicaragua), Mexico and/or Colombia to improve their digital investigative journalism skills and focus on corruption, transparency and governance issues.
- Strengthen a network between international, national and local media from around the region by connecting them with the ConnectasHub network.
- Recruit and oversee experts who conduct the workshops and provide follow-up coaching to participants and partners. These experts, mainly from Latin America, will contribute different skill sets, including investigative reporting, data journalism, digital visualization, and web development as well as entrepreneurial journalism.
- Oversee an innovation fund that supports native digital news organizations and traditional media adopting new technologies to improve their reporting and engage audiences.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience leading investigative journalism projects that include use of the latest digital and data tools and technologies
- Experience in major newsrooms, preferably in Latin America
- Excellent leadership and management skills; bonus points for being influential in journalist/digital communities and networks in Latin America
- Ability to work effectively in a team and manage several concurrent projects with timely deliverables
- Excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills to lead training sessions, connect with newsrooms and mentor reporters
- Experience tracking key project analytics and metrics, including story reach and engagement
- High professional proficiency in English and Spanish
The Fellow will be based in Latin America for his or her Fellowship, with at least 25 percent of his or her time spent in Nicaragua. The duration of the fellowship is one year, with the goal of starting in June 2017. The fellowship may be extended depending on funding and ICFJ approval.
How to Apply
If you are interested in being a candidate, please apply on the official website and select the Latin America role on page one of the form. You can direct any questions to: Sara Olstad at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the ICFJ Knight Fellowships, including financial benefits and expenses covered by the fellowship, see FAQs on the official website. We also strongly encourage candidates to view the current projects and Fellows to better understand the work of our Knight Fellows.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.