John Rylands Research Institute Visiting Research Fellows Application deadline Friday 2 December 2016
Applications should be e-mailed to email@example.com
The John Rylands Research Institute is a unique partnership led by The University of Manchester’s Faculty of Humanities and The University of Manchester Library in which humanities scholars, scientists, curators, conservators and digital imaging specialists are brought together to uncover, explore, unravel and reveal hidden ideas and knowledge contained within the Library’s world-leading Special Collections. This Fellowship gives the applicant the opportunity to visit The University of Manchester and experience first-hand the Library’s unique collections which count among the foremost repositories of primary sources in the UK, offering research potential across an exceptionally broad array of disciplines, chronologies and geographical areas.
What is a Visiting Research Fellowship?
Visiting Research Fellowships are an opportunity for applicants external to The University of Manchester to conduct research using the Library’s Special Collections which is linked to collaborative research with University of Manchester scholars and directed towards future grant capture.
Assessment of applications
All applications are assessed by the Institute Directors in consultation with curators and academics. Successful candidates will receive:
A maximum of £1,500 per month for up to 3 months to cover travel, accommodation and living expenses during the Fellowship
Support from expert curators, conservators and imaging specialists
Support from the Institute grant writer
Introduction and mentoring by a subject appropriate academic
Workspace and reading room provision
A warm welcome into the life of the Institute and invitations to take part in its activities Essential Criteria
Priority will be given to projects which lead to collaborative research with University of Manchester academics and collaborative grant capture with University of Manchester academics
All activity must have clear outputs and be deliverable within the proposed timescale
The proposed activity must be focused on the holdings of the Special Collections in The University of Manchester Library
Visiting Research Fellow Application Process
- Applicants are required to complete and submit an application
- Personal details
- Project details to include: title of project, proposed start and end date, objectives, methodology, an outline of the
sources to be consulted and outputs
- Future plans including collaboration, partnership and grant capture with University of Manchester academics
- An up to date curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages)
- An up to date list of relevant publications
- Details, including e-mail address, of two referees who can be contacted should the application be shortlisted
What will the Institute expect from the applicant?
- That Fellowships are taken at a mutually agreed time within the 2016/17 academic year
- A short report at the end of the Fellowship to include plans for future collaboration, publication and grant
Adherence to financial procedures
- Expenses will be processed in arrears (on production of receipts and completed claim form) through the Institute Office
- All international expenditure, before being presented to the Institute office, must be converted to GB pounds sterling and include evidence of exchange rate on the day of transaction
- Any claim for utilities will only be covered for rental accommodation in Manchester
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: