TERMS OF REFERENCE
Time frame: May 2017 – July 2017
Position: Expert in conducting Mapping survey
Location: Armenia, Shirak Region
Starting date: May, 2017
This ToR defines the modalities and deliverables of the survey that is to be carried out for the purposes of the project titled “Community Action for Full Inclusion in Education “, funded by European Union, Austrian Development Agency and Caritas Austria.
Armenian Caritas (AC) with partnership of “National Association of School Parent Council Members” NGO (NASPCM) implements a project “Community Action for Full Inclusion in Education”. The overall objective of the project is as follows: “Children with disabilities who are currently out of education enjoy their human rights for inclusive education, as specified in the article 24 of UNCRPD”.
Within the framework of the project a Mapping survey will be conducted to identify children out of education in the region of Shirak.
About Armenian Caritas
The Armenian Caritas Benevolent Organization was established in May 1995. The establishment of Armenian Caritas in the North of Armenia, Shirak Region, Gyumri city was initiated by the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and the Armenian Catholic Church to deliver direct assistance to the most vulnerable groups of the society. Armenian Caritas is a non-governmental organization registered in the RA Ministry of Justice.
The mission of Armenian Caritas is: “Serve different vulnerable groups with love and compassion, respecting the dignity of each individual”.
Armenian Caritas is a strong and significant role player in consolidation of social justice and social protection in the Republic of Armenia.
Armenian Caritas sees itself as the expression and an instrument of charity of the Armenian Catholic Church. Accordingly, Armenian Caritas seeks to organize and implement humanitarian and charitable actions in favor of persons and social groups living under difficult conditions without religious, national or racial discriminations. Moreover, Armenian Caritas views itself as an important force in actively promoting the democratic and developmental changes in Armenia. Armenian Caritas strives to work with families, uphold family values, and empower parents to be involved in healthy parenting values.
Armenian Caritas implements 46 projects in 4 regions of Armenia: Lori, Gegharkunik, Ararat, Shirak and Yerevan. Annually it reaches 150,000 people living in poverty.
Objectives of the Assignment
The assignment combines the elaboration of the Mapping survey format, conducting the survey and preparing an Analytical Report with findings on children out of education. The analytical Mapping Survey report will include: number of children out of education, constraints experienced by the families of these children, medical and social conditions that set barriers for the children's inclusion, constraints for the school administrations, gaps in the coordination and networking of the key stakeholders, possibilities to overcome the barriers for inclusion, etc. Through the survey children with disabilities who are currently out of education in the region of Shirak will be identified so that consequently they could be referred to receive quality education in their neighborhood mainstream schools.
The Mapping survey will take place alongside with the school selection process. This activity is needed as currently there is no integrated information about children with disabilities out of education.
The expected outcome is that children with disabilities who are currently out of education in the region of Shirak will be identified so that consequently they could be referred to receive quality education in their neighborhood mainstream schools. The output is the analytical Mapping Survey report with findings on children out of education (number of children out of education, constraints experienced by the families of these children, medical and social conditions that set barriers for the children’s inclusion, constraints for the school administrations, gaps in the coordination and networking of the key stakeholders, possibilities to overcome the barriers for inclusion).
Detailed Tasks and Expected output
The person in coordination with the team leader will undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct a desk review of existing situation in Armenia along with statistics, available national studies, evaluations and reports, and data from relevant ministries and agencies;
- Submit a concept for carrying out the survey together with the coordinator;
- Develop a methodology for the Mapping of the disabled children out the education in collaboration with International Expert, AC and NASPCM;
- Develop and evaluate methods of data collection, such as questionnaires or interviews, as well as finalize them based on feedback received from International Expert, AC and NASPCM;
- Submit finalized tools/questionnaires both in Armenian and English to AC project team;
- Organize training for the project team and the social workers on how to conduct the survey;
- Undertake and supervise conducting of field studies and collect data on children with disabilities out of education using participatory rural appraisal and key informants from primary sources (schools, school communities and from secondary sources using (Department on Education, MPPA Center, Village Halls, local policlinics, etc.);
- Analyze the data paying special attention to the educational needs of the children with disabilities as required by the project;
- Prepare an analytical report with findings on children out of education and draw conclusions from the report;
- Participate in the working group to design and develop case files for disabled children.
- Data entry
- Consult with and advise the project team on research findings;
- Analyze the results of the assessment and submit the draft comprehensive assessment report, including findings and general recommendations to AC and International Expert;
- Provide report both in English and Armenian.
Experience and Competencies required
- University degree in sociology or statistics or a related field;
- Solid experience in conducting sociological research;
- Proven track-record of successful sectoral analysis;
- Proven sufficient capacities that ensure a successful completion and high quality of deliverables;
- Proven knowledge and experience in good data analysis;
- Knowledge on Education System and disability issues in the RA will be an asset;
- Fluency both in Armenian and English for key research staff;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent listening, observational and verbal communication skills;
- Sensitivity, empathy and rapport.
Duration of task completion
The assignment is estimated to commence between May 2017 -and last no more than three months.
The tenure of the conduction of surveys will be tentatively for three months beginning in May 2017. Following are the deliverables and tentative schedule for submission.
- Research methodology designed, tools developed (both in English and Armenian) and desk review conducted Inception report on the assignment (including a work plan for surveys conduction).
- Elaboration of survey questionnaires.
- Training of required field interviewer’s /project social workers/ and supervisors on surveys tools to be used.
- Piloting of survey questionnaires among selected sample.
- Conducting of surveys at selected locations.
- Weekly briefing meeting on the status of surveys conductions (with the International Consultant).
- Preparation of initial databases with data collected per location including data cleaning and translation of results.
- Review of databases per location (if needed) and preparation of one consolidated database with results of surveys.
- Submission of database in Excel formats with data collected.
- Make revision (if needed) of database with surveys results (based on feedback received from International Consultant).
- Completion of final report on the assignment with the following minimum contents:
- Description of the analytical tools and methods of the data collection
- Review of the Desk study
- Report on the field data collection
- Review of the collected data
- Assessment and discussion on the established baseline values (indicator benchmarks)
- Description of the finding on the overall crosscutting phenomena
- General socio-economic situation of the beneficiaries in the target area
- Overall recommendations for the implementation and lessons learned
The sociologist will work closely with AC’s and NASPCM Project Coordinator and International Consultant. All deliverables will be submitted to AC and project donors on the date mutually agreed during the inception meeting. The reports will be reviewed by AC and NASPCM team.
Procedure for submission of expression of interest
Interested consultants should submit the below mentioned documents by 16:30 on 28 March, 2017.
- An updated CV (Maximum 4 pages)
- A proposal which should include a work schedule setting out the milestones for survey tasks with the envisaged methods, as well as the budget including all expenses and proposed payment terms.
- Applications may be submitted by individuals or a team.
- The submitted application should fully comply with the requirements set forth in the ToR.
- Deadlines for carrying out the evaluation
The technical proposal should have the following characteristics (in English):
- Cover indicating:
Name, person, evaluation team, etc.
Title of the project
Work experience in any similar work done over the last three years
- Technical bid, to include:
Detailed CVs of the member (s) of the team who will carry out the survey
- Working methodology, to include:
Objectives of the survey.
Preliminary proposal for methodologies, focusing on rights, gender issues, etc.
Preliminary proposal for information sources (documentary, key informants, beneficiaries, other stakeholders, etc.)
- Work schedule, to include:
Time planning for the review and reporting deadlines (detailed schedule)
- Proposal for the report, giving details of its main features (draft inception report)
- Budget, to include:
All expenses incurred in the carrying-out of the survey and proposed payment terms
Financial bid, broken down into as much detail as possible
If applicable, include VAT
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
In order to participate in the tender process, the bidder should submit its proposal e-mail to the office of Caritas Armenia to: firstname.lastname@example.org and CC to email@example.com by 28 March, 2017, in accordance with the data provided at the end of these TOR.
Bidders will be informed of their exclusion or success within 5 calendar days after the opening of the proposals received.
Applications that do not include all the required documents will be disqualified.
Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.