Director of Development
Start date: Immediate
Application Deadline: August 31st, 2016
Salary: Competitive; based on previous experience
Teach For Armenia is an independent, not-for-profit organization that is enlisting Armenia’s most promising future leaders in our mission to ensure all children in Armenia have access to an excellent education. Participants in the program, known as Fellows, serve as full-time teachers for two years in high-need schools across Armenia, and commit to transforming the education outcomes of lessprivileged schoolchildren through significantly improving their achievements, affect and access. In the long term, Teach For Armenia Alumni will form a different class of leaders, working in various sectors to expand education opportunity for all children in Armenia. To date, Teach For Armenia has recruited 47 Fellows across 2 cohorts. We aim to grow this number aggressively given the scale and urgency of education inequity.
Apart from being qualified for the job, we need someone who shares our vision and mission and is aligned with our Core Values: Striving for Excellence, Constant Learning & Growth, Dedication & Resilience, Integrity & Humility. These Core Values are a vital component of our organization's culture to ensure long-term and sustainable success, and therefore we view them as an important component for the selection of new team members and Fellows. Our collaborative working environment ensures abundant opportunities for you to expand your network and learning opportunities with other team members, Fellows, corporate partners, the Ministry of Education, other education stakeholders, as well as other like-minded individuals from the Teach For All network partners in over 40 countries. While our compensation package is fair and competitive, we do not expect this to be your key reason for joining us. After all, we are not just offering you a job; we are looking for a like-minded leader to grow with us and help us in our mission to ensure all children in Armenia have access to an education that unlocks their true potential.
Key Measures of Success
- Build sustainable funding - accountable for ensuring that the organization meets its yearly fundraising goals by securing funding from both the private and public sectors, in order to provide sufficient financial resources for the organization towards achieving its vision, long term and short term goals.
- Strategic partnerships – accountable for driving strategic partnerships, especially with non-government stakeholders, in order to obtain both financial and nonfinancial support to enable the organization to achieve its vision, as well as its long term and short term goals.
- Public relations and external partnerships – accountable for creating and managing Teach For Armenia’s public relations and external partnerships (media, social channels, etc).
Primary Responsibilities Build efficient relationships with high net worth individuals, corporate and other institutions in Armenia, and in addition:
- Plan and implement Teach For Armenia’s fundraising strategy, which includes maintaining and developing partnership with current and new donors
- Secure support from foundations, individuals and private companies
- Ensure that Teach For Armenia’s yearly fundraising target is met by conducting comprehensive fundraising research, designing and implementing creative fundraising campaigns, securing financial and in-kind support from local and international sources
- Build and maintain funding databases and systems
- Build and maintain close relationships with donors and stakeholders
- Collaborate with other non-profits in co-applying for both local and international funding opportunities
- Collaborating with partner and donor organizations
- Write and publish articles and materials which will attract potential donors to invest in the improvement of Armenian education
- Prepare donor communications including grant proposals, KPI presentations on our model and impact (lead donor and Board of Director meetings; attend and create fundraising events, presentations to key stakeholders and supporters; manage upwards to ensure that prospects are being moved through the pipeline efficiently; perform research to identify and qualify potential donors both locally and internationally)
- Coordinate and implement fundraising communication strategy to potential and current funders at all stages of the development process
- Manage grants, prepare reports, update proposals and supplementary materials
- Implement, improve, and manage our donor database (tracking of databases and systems)
- Develop and lead the entire development sector (inclusive of research, strategic planning and controlling)
- Plan a fundraising calendar of events and oversee execution of events
- Lead the external relations of the organization, including but not limited to developing and maintaining media relations, organizing PR events and campaigns
- Carry out other related tasks as requested by the CEO
Required Skill Competencies
- Passionate about our mission and values, believes deeply in the importance of inspiring/investing external people in our mission, and has high expectations for how Teach For Armenia is viewed by external stakeholders and general public. Also:
- Preferred educational qualification: post graduate
- Preferred experience: minimum 6-8 years of similar experience
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, as well as immense attention to detail
- Excellent relationship-building skills (listening, negotiating, and reasoning skills)
- Experience in creating, improving, and managing fundraising databases (knowledge of Salesforce is preferable)
- Excellent research skills – ability to locate, process and analyze publically available information and data (ability to draw out strategy and goals from research)
- Fluent knowledge of (writing, reading, speaking) Armenian (native) and English (native or fluent); Knowledge of Russian is a strong plus
- Extremely strong verbal and written communication skills; can speak and write compellingly about our organization, mission and goals
- Excellent critical thinking skills, ability to problem-solve and develop opportunities in order to achieve the most meaningful outcomes
- Proven success in fundraising in or with diverse organizations, philanthropists, or companies highly preferred (Verifiable track record in securing funding partnerships of $100,000 or higher); Other relevant accomplishments in public relations, sales, and/or marketing can be considered
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally through the Teach For All Global network opportunities
To apply to be part of our high performing and diverse team: Please press APPLY ONLINE button below and send us a copy of your CV and a cover letter, answering the following three questions below
1. Why do you want to be part of Teach For Armenia? What would you hope to accomplish as a Teach For Armenia staff?
2. Describe a time when you encountered serious obstacles to success while working on a project
3. Which of our Core Values you can best identify with and why?
(Limit: 300 words)
Only shortlisted candidates will be interviewed