Armenian Caritas (AC) sees itself as the expression and instrument of charity of the Armenian Catholic Church. Accordingly, Armenian Caritas seeks to organize and implement humanitarian and charitable actions in favor of persons and social groups living under difficult conditions without religious, national or racial discriminations. Moreover, Armenian Caritas views itself as an important force in actively promoting the democratic and developmental changes in Armenia.
Armenian Caritas is currently operating in 4 Marzes of Armenia (Shirak, Lori, Gegharkounick, Ararat) and the capital city Yerevan in the 6 following Strategic Directions:
- Social Protection of vulnerable groups (children, elderly, people with disabilities);
- Community Development;
- Public Health;
- Migration, Integration and Prevention of Trafficking;
- Advocacy, Communication and Network collaboration;
- Emergency Preparedness and Response.
Objectives of the Assignment
The overall objective of the consultancy will be the elaboration of Armenian Caritas Strategy for 2017-2019. In particular,
- Assess and analyze AC’s internal environment;
- Assess and analyze AC’s external environment and stakeholders;
- Synthesize the results and identify strategic opportunities;
- Plan and facilitate a day-long workshop with Board members, staff and other stakeholders to prioritize the strategic directions;
- Draft and finalize AC’s strategic plan for 2017-2019;
- Draft and finalize AC’s Fundraising and Risk Management Strategies, annexed to the main Strategy;
- Facilitate elaboration of AC’s Complains’ procedure and Environmental Ethics Papers on the basis of the documents, adopted by Caritas Internationalis (CI).
Note: The new Strategy should not contradict to the “Advocacy and Communication”, as well as the “Disaster Risk Management” Strategies of Armenian Caritas, which have been elaborated to be followed and implemented during 2016-2018.
Scope of the work
The scope and focus of the assignment is to provide technical, strategic and facilitation support to enable the renewal of AC’s strategic plan. After an initial document review, the consultant will develop an analysis framework and work plan to guide the assessment.
S/he will conduct a thorough but focused assessment of AC's strengths and weaknesses, as well as external opportunities and threats, with a view to identifying appropriate strategic options for the 2017-2019 operational period. The assessment will include review of relevant documents, in particular AC’s vision and mission statements, existing strategic plans and key project documents, strategic plans of key partner agencies, donor organizations, and related domestic and international reports. The consultant will also develop 1) a survey for AC members and non-member stakeholders, 2) conduct individual interviews with key informants, and 3) facilitate in-depth focus group/facilitated discussions among AC members and non-member stakeholders.
The use of participatory processes is expected. Critical reflection by members and stakeholders is integral to this strategic planning initiative. As such, the Consultant will be expected to provide for active and meaningful engagement of AC members and other relevant stakeholders.
It is expected that data will be analyzed using a rigorous and transparent analysis framework, summarized and presented back to AC to aid in prioritization of strategic directions. A key aspect of the consultancy is preparation for and facilitation of a one-day strategic planning meeting with AC Board and staff members.
All data and the results of the workshop will be consolidated into a draft and finalized strategic document, including analysis and the presentation of metrics using a Theory of Change model.
The ideal Consultant will have knowledge of and/or proven expertise in:
- Armenian civil society
- Participatory approaches in conducting assessments and facilitating strategic planning processes
- Familiarity with the Theory of Change approach
- Strategic planning document preparation
Methods and Tools
The Following methods can be used to complete the above mentioned tasks and fulfil the purpose as defined by this ToR.
- Desk review of the relevant documents;
- Consultative meetings/interview with relevant stakeholders like potential CSOs, experts, AC Board and Staff members;
- Semi-structural interviews;
- Focus group discussions;
- Participatory Workshop.
Key qualification, experience and skills of the consultant
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in strategic planning; experience in organizational and change management is an advantage;
- Familiarity with the Theory of Change approach;
- In-depth knowledge of Armenian civil society environment in which AC operates;
- Proven excellent communication and facilitation skills;
- Highly motivated and committed to the values of transparency and integrity;
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English and Armenian;
- Knowledge of sustainable development is an advantage.
If you are interested press APPLY ONLINE button below and in the cover letter section write a brief description of the consultancy firm or consultant and an outline of recent experience on assignments of a similar nature, 3 references of similar assignments that the consulting firm or consultant has undertaken in the last 3 years.
Also please attach a description of the methodology, financial and technical proposals including work plan for performing the assignment.
The consultant will provide the following deliverables:
- An inception plan clearly indicating activities, timelines and delivery plan.
- An Analysis Framework based on these Terms of Reference.
- A strategic plan workshop agenda and facilitation plan.
- A strategic plan document including:
- Executive summary
- Internal and External analysis
- Strategic priorities
- Metrics to assess progress made in the attainment of these strategic priorities (using Theory of Change or similar methodology)
- Strategic Planning Document including clear and detailed Work Plan with Annexes of Fundraising and Risk Management Strategies for a 3-year period;
- Adapted Papers of CI’s Complains’ procedure and Environmental Ethics.
Duration of task completion
The assignment is estimated to commence from October 10, 2016 and completed until November 30, 2016.
The payment will be made as follows:
1st instalment – 40% (after signing the agreement); and
Final instalment – 60% (after submission of final deliverables)