About the program
The ISSYP is an exciting and challenging two-week program for Canadian and international high school students who have a keen interest in theoretical physics and intend to pursue physics studies at the university level.
The program super-charges potential "Einsteins" with:
- Presentations by Perimeter Institute researchers on cutting edge theoretical physics: hot topics such as superstring theory, quantum computing and dark matter.
- Opportunities to work with leading international theoretical physicists in small group mentoring sessions.
- Mini-courses on modern physics designed to deepen their insights into Einstein's ideas and the quantum nature of our universe.
- Hands-on labs, tours of neighbouring research facilities, and other exciting activities with like-minded students from around the globe.
- Awareness of their own potential as potential future researchers in theoretical physics.
As the summer school will be conducted in English, applicants are expected to be fluent at speaking and writing in this language.
Students are welcome to apply if they:
- have a passion for and strong ability in physics and mathematics as reflected in high school course grades and extracurricular activities.
- are currently in the final two years of secondary school (for Canadian students, this means Grades 11 or 12 high school or CEGEP) and have not yet begun full-time studies at a post-secondary institution.*
- intend to pursue studies in physics at the university level in the future.
*The recommended age for this program is 16 - 18 years of age at the time of the program. However, students who fall outside of this age range may still apply and will be considered.
The application for ISSYP 2017 will be available in December.
Follow these guidelines when submitting your application package:
- The completed application package must be SUBMITTED TOGETHER in the order listed in Application Details.
- Application packages received otherwise will not be considered.
- Your application must be typed or neatly printed.
- Your name, email and country must be included in the TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER of all attached documents.
- Do not bind, staple or include paperclips with the package.
- Do not include any extra paper, awards, covers or photos with your package.
- To obtain tracking information and confirmation of delivery, send your package by courier service (Fed-Ex, DHL, UPS). You may also include a self-addressed post card for return. We will not reply with individual letter of receipt to applicants.
- The completed application package must arrive no later than March 31, 2017 to:
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
31 Caroline Street North
N2L 2Y5, Canada
December 2016 - Applications available online
March 31, 2017 - Application deadline
May 1, 2017 - Successful applicants notified and list published online
May 26, 2017 - Acceptance and permission forms submitted
TBD ISSYP - in session
For more information click "Further official information" below.