About the fellowship
In order to promote the understanding of China and Chinese culture among outstanding young students from around the world, prosper China studies, promote the sustainable development of Confucius Institutes, and foster the friendship between peoples of China and countries, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (the Headquarters) launched the “Confucius China Study Plan” in 2012. Xiamen University is one of the 16 Chinese host universities designated by the Headquarters for the Plan.
Xiamen University (XMU) was founded in 1921 by Tan Kah Kee, a well-known patriotic overseas Chinese leader. XMU is recognized as a first-class national university with a prestigious international reputation, ranking among the top 20 of the over 2,000 universities and colleges in China. XMU campuses are situated around the Xiamen Bay, commanding a beautiful view of green hills and the blue sea. It boasts the most beautiful campuses in China and even in the world.
- Joint Research Ph. D Fellowship: to support doctoral students (candidates) registered with foreign universities to come to China for study, research and writing of their doctoral dissertations. The duration of the program ranges from 6 months to 2 years.
- Ph. D in China Fellowship:to support foreign students to pursue full-time Ph.D. degrees in the humanities and social sciences at Chinese universities. The duration of the program is generally 4 years.
The majority of financial support is provided through support for specific research and other projects in designated academic areas of Humanities and Social Sciences. Applicants may choose their specific research topics and Chinese supervisors (lists attached) at Xiamen University that is designated by the Headquarters.
- Lodging and living stipend: 80,000 RMB per year;
- Research fund: 20,000 RMB per year;
- Round-trip international airfare;
- Other support provided by the host Chinese university;
- Expenses for life and medical insurances in China;
- Group activities and cultural experience.
Expenses for conducting research in China by foreign supervisors of the students participating in the Joint Research Ph.D. subprogram
- The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health;
- Requirements of Chinese language proficiency:
Applicants for the Joint Research Ph.D Fellowship should have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK Band 3 or above. Preference will be given, other qualifications being equal, to candidates with high levels of Chinese proficiency.
Applicants for the Ph.D in China Fellowship should have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK Band 5 or above. Preference will be given, other qualifications being equal, to candidates with high levels of Chinese proficiency.
- Applicants who are currently participating in Chinese Government Scholarship are not eligible to apply for this Plan.
Joint Research Ph.D Fellowship: Applicants shall submit their Joint Research Ph.D Fellowship Application Form, Ph.D study certificate, two recommendation letters from experts in the relevant field, HSK transcript, abstract of the Master’s thesis or other academic publications, abstract of doctoral dissertation; a research plan for the study in China and a copy of passport. Applicants with a recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute will be given priority over competitors of similar qualifications.
Ph.D in China Fellowship: Applicants shall submit their Ph.D in China Fellowship Application Form, one copy of notarized academic transcripts of undergraduate and postgraduate studies, degree certificate and their Chinese versions respectively, two recommendation letters from relevant experts, HSK transcript, abstract of Master’s thesis or other academic publications, a doctoral research statement and a copy of passport. Applicants with a recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute will be given priority over competitors of similar qualifications.
Note: Xiamen University currently hosts 16 Confucius Institutes around the world (contact information attached). Applicants can contact them to get recommendation letters or other Confucius Institutes in their host countries.
Application Time: through Feb 15, 2017
Applicants are required to log on to ourwebsite (See in the "Further official information" link below this announcement) to fill in the Application Form and upload the required documents. Xiamen University should be chosen as the host university. After the online application, a complete set of all required application documents should be mailed to the Confucius Institute Headquarters.
- Division of Sinology and China Studies,Confucius Institute Headquarters, 129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, China. 100088. Tel: 86-10-58595771
Selection and Notification
Candidates’ qualifications will be examined by Xiamen University. Documents of shortlisted candidates will be forwarded to Confucius China Studies Program Expert Committee for appraisal and video interview. Letter of Admission will be mailed by XMU to the recipients of the Fellowship. They will start their programs in the autumn of 2017.
- Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters
Tel: 86-10-58595771 Fax: 86-10-58595762
- Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0)592 2180256
For more inforamtion click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: