Inlaks Scholarships at top American, European and UK institutions
Inlaks Scholarships provide the opportunity to young people with exceptional talent in any field to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills to operate in society, thus making them a future vehicle of change in their environment. The scholarships are of two types: university courses and specific programs.
Scholarships are granted at top American, European and UK institutions, for funding requirements including tuition fees.
The Foundation does not award scholarships for more than US$100,000. If the total funding required (tuition + living allowance) exceeds US$100,000, candidates must show evidence that they have the ability to cover full funding for their courses at the time of their interviews in May/June. The Foundation does not cover candidates that are not fully funded.
The Foundation has joint scholarship schemes with Imperial College, London, Royal College of Art (RCA), London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, Cambridge Trust, Cambridge and SciencesPo, Paris. In the case of candidates for these collaborating institutions, the Foundation is able to accept applications without this requirement.
The Foundation does not give scholarships in the following subjects: Engineering, Computer Science, Business Studies, Medicine, Public Health, Fashion Design, Music and Film Animation. However in the case of Imperial College, London, scholarships will be given for Engineering and Computer Science. Further we will consider Indian Studies, only if they have contemporary relevance. In the field of Music, only applications for Western Classical singing degrees will be considered.
How We Decide
- The Foundation has been awarding scholarships to deserving young Indian since 1976. Few other foundations have, during this period, given as many scholarships in as many and such varied fields.
- The key to Inlaks is flexibility. We look for the unusual, we search out a special talent and we spot people with flair. And once we are convinced that we have found it, we will do everything possible to accommodate a worthy candidate.
- It is perhaps for this reason that a list of Inlaks alumni reads like a ‘Who’s Who’ of young India.
- So what should you be concerned about?
- Your achievements, academic and otherwise. We will need proof that you are an achiever.
- Your potential. We pride ourselves on judging potential as much as performance. It isn’t just what you have already achieved; it’s what we can help you achieve in the future.
- The suitability of your course, project or program. You must persuade us that the course/ program is right for you and that you are right for it.
Application and Selection Procedure
Application forms are available from the 10th of January to the 15th of April from the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation, C/o Inlaks India Foundation, 86/87 Atlanta, Nariman Point Mumbai 400021. They must be completed by the Candidate and submitted at the same address by 15th of April. They must include:
- Evidence of admission to a university or a course, and a full detail of the institute’s financial requirements.
- Candidates in architecture, fine and applied arts, and related subjects must submit a maximum of 10 samples of their work on a CD / DVD only, giving the size of the original, the material used and the date of completion. This material will not be returned. The images must only be in jpeg format, not tiff format. Candidates for Film, Dance, Acting, and Music (Western classical singing) must also submit a CD / DVD. Three sets of CDs/ DVDs must be submitted. A portfolio may be submitted also if it is not too bulky.
- Evidence of any outstanding achievements in extra-curricular activities in any field.
- Photocopy of the first and last pages of your passport.
- It is not compulsory to submit recommendation letters. However, in the event that you wish to do so, these letters (maximum 3 references) must be submitted together with the application, in sealed envelopes. Recommendation letters will not be accepted after the 15th of April either by post or email.
- Do not send copies of academic certificates with the completed form. These will be needed only at the time of the final interviews.
- An independent Inlaks Selection Committee carries out the selection.
Applications received are analyzed and evaluated, and the committee subsequently calls the most interesting candidates for interviews. All applicants must be available for interviews in India. They usually take place in Mumbai or Delhi in May or in June, in two stages: preliminaries, and for those who make it, finals. Candidates short-listed for the interviews will have to arrange for their own travel and accommodation. Candidates who do not receive any communication by 1st of June must assume that their applications have not been successful.
Terms of the Scholarship
The scholarship covers, for the period granted, tuition fees, adequate living expenses and one-way travel. In the case of scholarship requirement of above $100,000 (or equivalent),(tuition + living allowance), candidates must show evidence of funding, for the balance of costs, at the time of interviews in May or June. In the case of specific programs, the financial coverage will be discussed directly with the candidate.
Acceptance of other scholarships, teaching assistantships and part-time jobs are welcome after approval from the Foundation.
Scholarship will not be awarded to candidates whose proposed course of study or specific project requires field trips back to India during tenure.
Scholarships are awarded in May/ June generally for commencement in subsequent September and October. Any scholarship not commenced within 9 months will be forfeited.
This form is to be filled in for all applications for Inlaks Scholarships Abroad. The form can be downloaded, filled in and sent to following address:
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation,
C/o Inlaks India Foundation
86/87 Atlanta, Nariman Point,
Download Application Form (.xls format)