DIGITAL CHINA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies is recruiting a Digital China Fellow to help lead work on our China Digital Scholarship/Digital Humanities projects. Through their own research and support for the research of other faculty and students, the Digital China Fellow will help define and implement future directions for Digital Scholarship on China at Harvard. Her/his work will be ideally divided into the following areas, although flexibility is possible, and indeed probably necessary, based on the skill set of the Fellow. Please note that this position is currently funded for two years. An extension is possible, but dependent on future potential funding sources.
- Provide support for faculty and students using digital tools and methods to conduct research on China. This will involve delivering workshops for the Harvard community on digital research methods, holding office hours to provide assistance for faculty and students using digital tools in their work, proactively reaching out to faculty, and otherwise providing research support services.
- Building cyberinfrastructure for China Studies and database development. The Digital China Fellow will help coordinate improved linkage and sharing of data among databases and platforms related to China studies. This would include working with the China Biographical Database Project, the China Historical Geographic Information System, and other databases outside of Harvard. Experience with command line environments, API’s, and linked open data; knowledge of relevant programming or scripting language; and the ability to write database queries in SQL would all be a plus.
- Research. 50% of the Digital China Fellow’s time will be used to conduct their own independent research, either in the field of digital methods itself or using digital methods to research some aspect of China Studies.
- Administration. Providing regular updates to project supporters and the ability and willingness to identify and pursue grant funding to continue this project is required.
Candidates must have a strong working knowledge of digital tools and methods and competency in both Chinese and English.
Annual Stipend: $60,000
Additional research funds and health insurance benefits will also be provided. The fellow must reside in the Greater Boston area for the duration of the fellowship.
Interested applicants should complete the online application. The application requests the submission of:
- Cover letter
- Two-page statement of research
- Names and contact information for two referees. Referees should submit a letter that speaks to the candidate’s academic potential and digital scholarship abilities directly.
All materials must be in English.
Applicants must notify the Fairbank Center of any changes to the information provided in the application that may impact eligibility. Failure to communicate such changes may result in disqualification.
This fellowship will be subject to all rules and regulations of Harvard University. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: