Adequate availability of clean water is indispensable for food supply and health and hence key for the development of societies worldwide. However, pressure on water resources is increasing due to fast demographic and socioeconomic growth and unsustainable water uses.
The concept of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) combined with current climate change adaptation best practices offers solutions to deal with these challenges by assessing and managing this precious resource in space and time considering other related sectors.
Worldwide, there is a high and growing demand for experts adequately trained on the concepts of IWRM. Next to technical and managerial knowledge, they should also be familiar with the practices of project funding and international cooperation. The objective of the rogram is to capacitate such experts in the field of of IWRM and related concepts and methods. The progrom targets graduated professionals with working experience in public or private institutions, authorities and enterprises of the water sector. The applicants should be active in or dealing with water or natural resources management and have an interest in learning and working in an intercultural and multidisciplinary environment.
This special course is a bilateral cooperation between the Institute for Technology and Resources Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ITT) at TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) and Vietnam Academy of Water Resources (VAWR).
ITT has educated more than 700 MSc students from many countries worldwide in the following three key domains: water, natural resources and renewable energy management. Cutting edge teaching concepts are combined with up to date research applications and field work.
VAWR/CTIC is responsible for water related country-wide applied research, international cooperation, technology transfer, post-graduate professional training, consultancy services and implementation of water supply and irrigation infrastructure, hydropower and environmental planning.
International exchange and research opportunities
- Opportunity to participate in Joint-Student-Projects with the students from international partners (Brazil, Chile, Nepal,…)
- Opportunities to join on-going research projects
MSc program structure
Four semesters of study:
1st and 2nd semester in Vietnam
3rd semester in Germany
4th semester in Vietnam or Germany
What do we offer
- An exchange semester in Cologne, Germany
- German M.Sc. Degree issued by TH Köln
- A program based on the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), accredited in Germany
- German and Vietnamese professors from ITT and VAWR as well as external institutions
- Individual tutoring through E-learning platforms
- A worldwide alumni network and summer schools
- Network partners in universities, research institutions, the public and private sector and the development aid sector
- Support to pursue higher qualification (Ph.D) in Germany and Vietnam
- Excellent career opportunities in international cooperation and development assistance
- Leadership positions in the public and private sector
- Being part of a network of excellence on IWRM
In order to apply for the MSc course, you need to:
- hold a university degree (Bachelor degree) related to engineering, natural sciences, geography, agricultural or social sciences
- have an academic or professional background related to environmental or resources management
- be fluent in English (TOEFL: min. 550 points, or equivalent)
- Prove a relation to the natural resources management through the previous studies of minimum 15 ECTS
- describe your motivation to study this MSc course on one page (in English)
- hand in a research idea on two pages (in English)
Total cost of the MSc course (including 1 semester in Germany): ca 112.500.000 VND (~ € 4500)
DAAD scholarships are granted to outstanding Vietnamese students and to foreign students who come to Vietnam to take part in the course
Scholarships from DAAD and CNRD (Centers for Natural Resources and Development) are available for all students to study one exchange semester in Germany. Other scholarship might be available on request.
- Application period: from December 15th to June 30th each year
- Screening application: until March 30th
- Final deadline: May 30th each year
- Course starts at the beginning of September each year
- Please download the application form from the homepage here, fill it out and send it back to us
To apply press "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: