Post-doctoral Fellows in Solid State Chemistry
The Solid State Chemistry Group (Prof. Dr. C. Felser) of the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids in Dresden, Germany is world leading in research on intermetallic Heusler compounds with applications in the areas of Spintronics, magnetic materials, topological materials, thermoelectric materials, superconductors, and many more.
- Sputter deposition of intermetallic thin films,
- MBE layer by layer growth of intermetallic thin films,
- Characterisation of thin films,
- Angular resolved photoelectron spectroscopy
The produced and investigated thin films will be for the areas of:
- Piezoelectric materials in multilayers with ferromagnets for new memory concepts;
- Topological materials from topological insulators to magnetic Weyl semi-metals for anomalous Hall effects and related phenomena;
- Halfmetallic ferromagnets, ferrimagnets and antiferromagnets in thin films and multilayers for spintronics.
Besides good knowledge in the thin film characterisation or growth by sputtering or molecular beam epitaxy, you should have a strong analytical background with very good knowledge in two or more of the following methods (equipment):
Structural characterisation by diffraction methods with electrons (LEED) or X-rays (XRD), electrical transport (PPMS), magnetic properties (MPMS), photoelectron spectroscopy (Scienta), scanning probe microscopy (AFM, PFM, MFM, STM, Omicron), chemical analysis by Auger electron spectroscopy or secondary electron microscopy with EDX and characterization by advanced methods for example synchrotron based methods (ARPES, HAXPES, XAS, XMCD).
YOUR PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in physics, chemistry, materials, or closely related science obtained less than 3 years ago,
- a strong background in thin film techniques is essential,
- Proficiency with other complementary laboratory techniques as mentioned above is desirable,
- Experience with research at large scale facilities,
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff at the border between physics and chemistry,
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize,
- English proficiency (working language in the group), German is of advantage for communication with our technical personal.