The Center for Southeast Asian Studies at Kyoto University, Japan, invites applications for a two-year CSEAS Post-Doctoral Fellowship under its program “Japan-ASEAN Platform for Transdisciplinary Studies.”
Southeast Asia, through its regional institution of ASEAN, has emerged as a hub for Asian community-building and development. The highly diverse societies in this region, however, have undergone rapid social, economic, political and environmental changes. These pressing issues must be understood, and the root causes scrutinized for solutions beyond the confinement of national territory, academic disciplinarity, and barriers separating academic and non-academic stakeholders.
Under the six-year program funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Japan, we set up a solution-oriented platform for transdisplinary studies. For further promoting practical dialogue, we seek scholars, specialists and practitioners working on the following issues:
- environmental degradation
- natural resource governance
- economic growth and distribution
- aging, health, and welfare
- urbanization and depopulation
- emerging infectious diseases
- natural disasters
We are equal opportunities employer. Applications are open to scholars of all nationalities. We encourage applications from researchers with Ph.D.s or proof of a solid research and publication track record in area studies, sociocultural anthropology, sociology, economics, politics, political economy, political ecology, forestry, biology, medicine, ecology, hydrology, climate science, fisheries science, environmental science, disaster science, natural resources, governance or related disciplines. Applicant must be under the age of 45 as of January 5, 2017. Applicant must not be the recipient of a JSPS Post Doctoral Fellowship or similar programs at the time of employment.
Applicant must submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (must include information on language skills, both oral and written; list of presentations at international academic conferences and seminars; fieldwork experiences; and list of grants and awards)
- Complete list of publications (please indicate which ones are refereed)
- Two recommendation letters
- Samples of major publications (two samples with abstracts)
- Summary of scholarly activities and achievements (1200 words or less)
- Statement of your research, writing, and publication goals for this fellowship, and your contribution to out program (1200 words)
- Shortlisted candidates may be interviewed over Skype, and will therefore be requested to open a Skype account or provide the CSEAS with information regarding existing Skype addresses.
How to apply
The application deadline is September 1, 2016.
To find online application link, please click on the "Further official information" below.