These grants are for structural and cell biologists who want to use cryo-electron microscopy equipment in their research.
Scheme at a Glance
Career stage: Intermediate, Senior
Where your host organisation is based: UK
Type of researcher: Basic
Level of funding: £500,000 to £4 million
Duration of funding: Up to 5 years
Who can apply
You can apply for a Cryo-Electron Microscopy Equipment Grant if you, and any coapplicants, have:
- An academic or research post (or the equivalent).
- A track record in getting grant funding.
- A salary already in place for the duration of the award period. Any coapplicants who don’t have salary support for the duration of the grant are eligible to apply if they have at least one year’s personal salary support at the proposed start date of the grant.
What We're Looking For
When we look at your application, we'll assess:
- how the cryo-electron microscopy equipment will benefit your research
- your track record
- your host organisation’s financial contribution
- evidence of demand for the equipment
- the availability of other cryo-electron microscopes locally/nationally
- management and sustainability plans
- expertise in operating the equipment
- added value for Wellcome-funded research.
What's Expected of Your Host Organisation
Your host organisation must provide a supporting statement that outlines:
- how the equipment will contribute to their overall research strategy
- their contribution towards the equipment (financial or otherwise).
Host Organisation’s Contribution
If you ask for more than £500,000, the host organisation should contribute at least 20 per cent towards the cost of the equipment.
Contributions can include support in-kind as well as money, such as the provision of key support posts and maintenance contracts.
What We Offer
We offer expenses to cover costs of the cryo-electron microscopy equipment. This includes both entry-level and high-end equipment.
We’ll be negotiating standardised pricing directly with the equipment vendors.
We’ll fund the equipment:
- purchase, delivery and installation
We’ll cover VAT and import duties if the usual UK exemptions on equipment used for medical research don’t apply.
If you move to a different organisation after you've been awarded the grant, the equipment must remain at the organisation to which it was awarded.
We don't fund on a proportion of full economic costs in UK universities.
You must submit your application by 17:00 (GMT/BST) on the deadline day. We don't accept late applications.
Application deadline: 17 October 2016
Committee review: December 2016
Stages of Application
- Contact Tom Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss:
- your research plans
- why you need cryo-electron microscopy equipment
- how your proposal could fit into a national strategy for the provision of cryo-electron microscopy.
- Submit your application
Applications are by invitation only.
- Scientific review
The Cryo-Electron Microscopy Equipment Committee will review your full application.
We aim to notify you of our decision within four weeks of the committee meeting.
For more details please click on the "Further official information" link below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: