The Visiting Scholars Program of the Weatherhead East Asian Institute is designed to enable faculty and scholars from or with ties to East Asia to enrich their academic careers by engaging in research and scholarship related to East Asia at Columbia University. The Institute provides Visiting Scholars with access to Columbia University facilities and libraries. Scholars may audit courses throughout the university, conduct research, and participate in the activities of the Institute.
Visiting Scholars may affiliate with the Institute for one or two semesters, and must be sponsored by an Institute faculty member during their stay. Scholars must attend a Visiting Scholars luncheon once a year, and provide a final report of 250 words to be submitted to the Institute director at the end of their stay.
Working knowledge of spoken and written English is necessary. Applicants whose English proficiency is insufficient should consider applying for enrollment in the Columbia University American Language Program (ALP), a twelve-week intensive English language program which runs from May to August.
- Sponsorship of an Institute faculty member
- Current affiliation with an academic institution and a Ph.D. in respective area or field
- Proficiency in written and spoken English (exemption from this requirement is permitted only under special circumstances)
- $500 visa processing fee
- $100 administrative application fee (by check made payable to Columbia University; or by money order)
- Proof of sufficient funds for the duration of stay
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.