Cardiff Business School PhD Studentship
Cardiff Business School invites applications for one School-funded PhD studentship in Management and Business Studies, or Economics, for the 2016/17 academic year.
This studentship is extremely competitive. We are seeking exceptional applicants with a first class Honours degree (mark of 70%+ or equivalent) and a Masters degree with distinction (mark of 70%+ or equivalent).
Research is at the centre of Cardiff Business School's activities. Cardiff Business School is ranked 6th in the UK for the quality of its research in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) and one of only two business schools in the UK to be ranked in the top ten in each of the Government’s five assessment exercises since 1992.
Research is conducted both within the Schools' sub-disciplinary groups as well as via specialist and multidisciplinary research centres.
Cardiff Business School has an international faculty of world-leading scholars and its research reputation has helped it become an attractive centre of scholarship for colleagues from the UK and beyond. The School also has a strong and active PhD programme, with 150 PhD students studying at the School at any one time. A substantial proportion of these students are funded by scholarships obtained from funding bodies including the ESRC, EPSRC and a number of private sector organisations.
The School particularly welcomes applications for a number of identified projects.
Applications in any of the specialised areas of research within the School’s five management and business sections are also invited:
- Accounting and Finance
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Management, Employment and Organisation
- Marketing and Strategy
Supervisors: It is strongly advised that you contact a member of academic staff to discuss your research proposal prior to making an application.
Start date: Late September 2016
Number of Studentships: 1
How to Apply
- Applications should be submitted via Cardiff’s Online Application Service. For details on how to apply, please visit this page.
- In the ‘Funding’ section of the Online Application Form, please indicate that you are applying for a Cardiff Business School PhD Studentship in Management and Business, or Economics. Guidance for sending/uploading supporting documents is also available via your Online Application account.
- Applicants should use the ‘Research Proposal’ section of the application form (approx 500 words) to set out their doctoral thesis and project in summary. They should use the ‘Personal Statement’ section (approx 500 words) of the application form to set out their academic background and interests and their reasons for wanting to pursue postgraduate research study.
- Academic References – all admissions applications require two references to be submitted in support. Please ensure that your chosen referees are aware of the funding deadline and have submitted their references by this date as we will be using these to help us evaluate your application. (N.B. The University does not approach referees on your behalf)
- Academic Transcripts – where applicable, academic transcripts must be submitted with the online admissions application by the funding deadline. We will be using these to verify your academic qualifications.
- English language – for students whose first language is not English, evidence of proficiency in the English language is required e.g. normally a score of band 7.0 on IELTS (writing scored 7.0, with no subscore less than 6.5).
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is 4th March 2016. Please ensure your application and all supporting documents reach us by the deadline.
Cardiff University reserves the right to close applications early should sufficient applications be received.
For informal enquiries, please contact Ms Elsie Phillips at email@example.com or +44 (0)29 2087 6786.