Media literacy in the digital media
You are young media maker, journalist, blogger? Interested in social media? Want to learn about fact-checking, verification and about use of social networks for pitching stories? You care about freedom of speech and developing media literacy? Enjoy intercultural settings? This call might be just for you!
What is this event about?
The European Youth Press (EYP) welcomes 65 young aspiring media makers, students of journalism or communication studies, bloggers, citizen journalists interested in journalism in the digital era, its benefits and challenges - to apply for participation in a 6-days event in Belgrade, Serbia.
#DML (digital media literacy) is aiming to:
- increase capacities of young media makers in working with the digital/social media, in their reporting on political, social and economic topics;
- promote journalistic ethic in digital/social media;
- raise public awareness about specifics and challenges of the news communicated by the digital/social media.
#DML will foster discussion on following issues:
- media freedom: being accurate, fast and uncensored;
- power of social media (countries in transition, spilling online revolutions to offline world, viral vs. true stories..);
- social media audiences, tools for verification and fact-checking, opinion makers and role of the media;
- digital media security issues vs. freedom of expression;
- internet, European legislation(s), self-regulation.... and more!
Participants will attend a series of practical workshops with the purpose of improving concrete skills; they will partake in debates and panel discussions on hot-topics and engage in the on-site tasks in Belgrade.
Who can apply?
Eligible participant is:
- Under 30 years old (small percentage of over 30 applicants will be considered too);
- Resident of Armenia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Germany, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Sweden or Serbia;
- With a clear background in any form of media work;
- With a strong interest in the topic of the event;
- English proficient;
- Available to be in Belgrade from 26 September to 02 October.
Selection will be made in line with gender and geographical balance.
What about the costs?
EYP will cover accommodation, meals and all materials to be used during the seminar.
EYP will refund 70-100% of transportation costs, depending on ticket price. EYP will refund visa costs for participants who need them.
Participation fee for the event is 15 EUR, with the exception for participants from the hosting country.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are invited to apply by filling application form here: http://bit.ly/eyp-dml
Deadline for receiving applications is: 20 August, 23:59h CET
The European Youth Press (EYP) is a youth-led network of young media makers. The EYP supports young media makers and their organizations and works for freedom, diversity and quality of journalism. The EYP supports the access to profession on an international, European and local level through:
- Education - working with young media makers, providing training, educative media productions and educational material
- Cooperation and exchange with other journalist and media organizations such as, but not limited to, our member organizations and partners, particularly foundations, governmental and non-governmental organizations
- Participation - by enabling young journalists to lobby for their cause and by representing young journalists on a policy level e.g. at and with conferences and roundtables and promoting their voice through surveys and publications.
The EYP is a member of the European Youth Forum (YFJ) and of the Africa-Europe Youth Platform.
More about the EYP: youthpress.org
About the project
This project is implemented in cooperation with the National Youth Council of Serbia (KOMS) and EYP’s member organizations.
The project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: