A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship at the National University of Singapore
AUS supports bright individuals with a keen interest in research for a Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering at the National University of Singapore including the Yale-NUS College, the Nanyang Technological University, the Singapore University of Technology and Design and the Singapore Managment University (School of Information Systems). Upon graduation, scholars have the flexibility to pursue their PhD studies locally or abroad on A*STAR or other university scholarships. Scholars can look forward to research attachments at A*STAR's Research Institutes with state-of-the-art facilities and be part of A*STAR's community of diverse and renowned scientists and researchers.
- Open to Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship.
- Males are required to serve National Service prior to commencement of undergraduate studies.
- Excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent
- Candidates are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions where they can pursue their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science- or math-related projects and activities
(i) Applicants with ‘A’ Levels/ IB/ NUSHS Diploma/Polytechnic Diploma:
For candidates on GCE 'A' Level syllabus
- Candidates must offer 11 units or more
- Attained As in three H2 Science or Mathematics subjects
- Demonstrated achievement beyond the above, such as in research or a relevant H3 subject should be highlighted.
- Those without relevant H3 subjects must have As in four H2 Science and Mathematics subjects.
For candidates on International Baccalaureate (IB) syllabus
- Obtained at least 39 points including 6,7,7 in higher level for Science and Mathematics subjects(exception will be made if candidate took Further Mathematics)
- Attained at least 1 bonus point for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge
For candidates from NUS High School of Mathematics and Science
- Attained subject CAP of 3.60 and above, majoring in at least 3 of the following subjects:
- Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (one of which must be with Honours)
- Excellent in Advanced Research Project
For candidates from Polytechnic
- Excellent academic results, at least a diploma with merit.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for science-related projects/activities.
(ii) Applicants in undergraduate Year 2-4 (Mid-Term AUS)
- Singaporeans only
- Completed and achieved at least 2 semesters of graded results upon award of the scholarship
- Obtained a minimum term CAP/GPA and cum CAP/GPA of 4.5 in the latest academic term/year
The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Successful candidates will be provided with financial support* for the duration of their undergraduate studies covering:
- Tuition fees
- Hostel Fees
- Local sustenance allowance
- Research attachment opportunities at A*STAR Research Institutes (minimum of 8 weeks)
- One overseas exchange programme during the undergraduate studies (up to 6 months)
Mid-term AUS awardees will be offered the same terms of support as the direct AUS scholars from the point of the award, without retrospective payment.
Continuation of the AUS is subject to scholars maintaining good academic standing.
*All rates/allowances are subject to A*STAR adjustments from time to time.
Continuing with PhD studies
AUS scholars are required to embark on a PhD programme in Science or Engineering disciplines after the completion of their undergraduate studies. AUS scholars may apply to National Science Scholarship NSS(PhD), A*STAR Graduate Scholarship (AGS) or other scholarships in their final year of undergraduate studies
(i) Entry point with ‘A’ Levels/ IB/ NUSHS Diploma/ Polytechnic Diploma:
To apply for AUS, click here.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31 Mar 2016
(ii) Applicants in undergraduate Year 2-4
To apply for Mid-Term AUS, click here and select ‘Mid-Term AUS Application’.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31 May (for August intake); and 31 October (for January intake) each year
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For frequently asked questions, please click here.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: