Academic Scholarship Program, University of Queensland
UQ's Academic Scholarship program aims to reward the achievements of outstanding school leavers and gap year students.
If you are a high-achieving student and you are completing Year 12 in 2015 (or you completed in 2014 and you’re on a gap year) then you are encouraged to apply.
Academic scholarships are open to Year 12 and gap year students who:
- are Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holders; or
- are Australian Permanent Residents, New Zealand citizens, or international student who is completing or has completed Years 11 and 12 in Australia;
- have NOT completed any previous tertiary study other than that undertaken as part of Year 11-12 studies (eg. Enhanced Studies Program); and
- have applied for a tertiary place through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC); and
- are intending to enrol as a full-time student in an undergraduate program at The University of Queensland in 2016 (or 2017 if they are deferring their tertiary place); and
- have UQ listed as their 1st or 2nd QTAC preference.
- Scholarship recipients will be determined by a panel of senior UQ staff and selection is completely at the University’s discretion.
- Scholarships will be awarded with consideration to a range of factors including but not necessarily limited to academic achievement, demonstrated leadership and/or community service achievements, financial need, program preferences and secondary school attended.
- Bonus ranks applied as a result of any scheme will NOT apply for the purposes of awarding scholarships.
How to apply
Step 1: Online Application Form
Applicants only need to complete and submit ONE application form to be considered for the three different types of Academic Scholarships on offer.
Before you apply, you will need to apply to QTAC to receive your reference number. Your QTAC number is the reference number which you receive after you have lodged your QTAC application online. Your QTAC number will begin with a '16' (or a '15' if you are a gap year student who applied through QTAC in 2014).
Please answer ALL questions on the Online Application Form. Once you have completed the form, click the SUBMIT link. The Online Application Form and all supporting documentation for 2016 Academic Scholarships must be received by The University of Queensland by 5pm 31st October 2015. Late applications will NOT be considered.
Once you have submitted the online form, you should receive an email from the UQ Scholarships Office to confirm that your Online Application Form has been received. Please contact the UQ Scholarships Office if you haven’t received your confirmation email within two working days of submitting your application.
Step 2: Hard Copy Supporting Documentation/Evidence
Once you have submitted your online form and received your confirmation email, the following documentation will need to be forwarded to the University to be received no later than 5pm 31 October 2015. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
a) Copy of Confirmation Email confirming lodgement of your Online Application Form (please do NOT send the printout of your Online Application).
b) Personal Statement of 300 words or less which briefly describes:
your study and career aspirations.
if applicable, how your financial circumstances or living and studying in a geographically isolated location has impacted upon your academic, leadership and/or community service achievements in years 11 and 12.
c) Evidence of achievements - evidence must be provided for any academic, leadership and/or community service achievements you have indicated in your Online Application. Evidence may include certificates, letters (on official letterhead) from school and/or community leaders, sporting associations etc.
d) Evidence of financial hardship (where applicable) - examples can include Youth Allowance/ ABSTUDY or other Centrelink statements (must be current), parents' ATO Assessment Notices; letter from your school confirming you are on scholarship (if applicable).
Step 3: Submit Hard Copy Supporting Documentation/Evidence
Hard Copy Supporting Documentation/Evidence can be submitted to one of the following addresses:
The Scholarships Co-ordinator
Undergraduate Scholarships & Prizes Office
The University of Queensland
St Lucia Qld 4072
In person to a UQ Student Centre:
Level 1, J D Story Blg Level 1, NW Briton Annex
St Lucia Campus, or Gatton Campus
(The Student Centre at St Lucia is open between 9.00am-5.00pm Monday – Friday. An ‘After Hours Lodgement’ facility is also available at this site)
The University of Queensland complies with Australian and Queensland privacy laws and guidelines. The University of Queensland treats information collected by it as confidential. Information supplied by you will only be used for the purpose of assessing your eligibility for a scholarship and the scholarship selection process.
The University of Queensland will not make available to a third party any personal information supplied by you unless required or permitted by law or where you have consented to the disclosure. The University may distribute aggregated statistical information for statutory reporting purposes but only in a form that will not identify any person individually. For more information please consult the UQ Privacy Management Policy.
Before you apply:
- Before you start completing the Academic Scholarship Online Application Form, you must read the Academic Scholarship Information and Rules
- Applicants are encouraged to view the sample application form prior to commencing your online application.
- Once you have submitted your online application form it be possible to return to it to make changes.
- Before you apply, you will need to apply to QTAC to receive your reference number. Your QTAC number is the reference number which you receive after you have lodged your QTAC application online. Your QTAC number will begin with a '16' (or a '15' if you are a gap year student who applied through QTAC in 2014).
- Please contact the Scholarships Office before November 30 if you change your 1st or 2nd QTAC preferences after submitting your application, as this information is used for selection purposes.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: