The Berlin Graduate School of Ancient Studies (BerGSAS), with funding of the Einstein Center Chronoi (EC-C), invites applications for 8 doctoral fellowships at the Freie Universität Berlin and the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin to begin on 1 January 2022 (winter semester 2021/2022). We welcome applications by highly qualified graduates from the fields of Ancient Studies, e.g. Ancient History, Ancient Oriental Studies, Ancient Philosophy, Archaeology, Archaeological Building Research and Monument Preservation, Classical Philology, Egyptology, History of Law, Landscape Archaeology, and Protestant Theology. Candidates must hold an outstanding Master's degree (M.A., MSt, MSc) in one of the aforementioned subjects.
The projects should have a clear connection to the overarching topic of as awareness of time, time management, time reckoning and temporality in ancient cultures, which is being investigated within the EC-C. Graduate students participate in several activities and events of the EC-C.
The scholarship is endowed with € 1468 per month and available from January 2022. It is initially awarded for two years, with the option for a third year after a positive mid-term evaluation. This call is subject to the approval of the funds (2022-24).
Receiving a fellowship is connected with the admission to the BerGSAS and participation in one of the five doctoral programs, either Ancient Languages and Texts or Ancient Objects and Visual Studies; Ancient Philosophy and History of Ancient Science; Landscape Archaeology and Architecture, or Languages and Cultures of the Silk Road. Each of these programs has a structured curriculum.
We expect applicants to inform themselves about the admission requirements in the desired doctoral subject. Contacting the preferred first supervisor beforehand is also necessary. Please find a list of the institutes and seminars involved in the doctoral programs of the BerGSAS on the website of the respective programs: http://www.berliner-antike-kolleg.org/en/bergsas/programme
Please send your application documents with the reference number 2021-BerGSAS-EC-1 by 16 May, 2021, 24.00 Central European Summer Time to email@example.com
Please submit as 1 PDF (max. 10 MB):
- a cover letter that explains your motivation for applying (max. 2 pages, A4, Times New Roman 12 pt, 1.5 line)
- a research proposal (5-7 pages, A4, Times New Roman 12 pt, 1.5 line)
- a work plan and schedule for three years
- an application form (download here: https://www.berliner-antike-kolleg.org/bergsas/faq/pdfs/BerGSAS_application.pdf)
- a curriculum vitae (CV, resume)
- a writing sample (15-20 pages, e.g. chapter of the Master’s thesis)
- copies of academic degrees and certificates of annual examinations taken at the home university (B.A., MA., Diploma)
- if applying to the FU Berlin: copy of an English language certificate (IELTS-Academic, or TOEFL, at least B2)
In addition, letters of recommendation from two university teachers are required (preferably in German or English), which should be send as pdf directly to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Admissions and Grants committee will not consider incomplete or late applications.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.