The Silent Book Contest will give a prize money and publication to an original illustrated and unpublished book project that has been created and produced exclusively through narration by illustrated images. Given that the illustrated book and the visual language of illustrations and pictures is in no way secondary to written language, with a universal power and potential that supersedes any barrier of language or genre, the Silent Book Contest competition invites authors and illustrators to think up and design a book conceived exclusively for the telling of a story through illustrated images, on any subject and intended for a wide and diverse section of the reading public, regardless of genre or age.
Among the books sent to the competition, an International Jury will select the finalists to be announced and exhibited at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair and Salone del Libro of Turin. The author of the book project selected as winner by the International Jury will receive money prize of Euro 4.000 as advance for copyright with publishing agreement. The winning book project will be published by Carthusia Edizioni. Usally the book is presented in August at the Award Ceremony in Montereggio (Tuscany, Italy).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Carthusia Edizioni as main organizer, together with the Silent Book Contest Secretary’s Office, with the collaboration of Comune di Mulazzo, Bologna Children’s Book Fair, Salone Internazionale del Libro di Torino, l’Associazione Montereggio Paese dei Librai, member of I.O.B. International Organization of Book Towns Italia, with the patronage of IBBY Italia and Centro per il Libro e la Lettura (MiBACT) and with the contribution of BPER Banca, presents the Internazional Silent Book Contest 2021 – Gianni De Conno Award. The competition is exclusively reserved for new and unpublished illustrated books without words. The subject is open and not restricted to any age group and readers. The narration must be carried out exclusively through illustrated images and have narrative and stylistic coherence.
2. Authors, illustrators and artists of any nationality, place of origin or residence may participate, with original and unpublished projects, provided they are not less than 18 years old on 15th February 2021. It is possible to participate with one to a maximum of three unpublished projects for each Author.
3. From the book projects enrolled and sent to the competition by 15th February 2021, an International Jury, nominated by the organization will select from eight to ten finalists book projects by March 2021. They will be presented and exhibited at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair 2021 (12-15 April 2021). Then, among the finalists, the Jury will choose the winning project.
4. The book projects entered in the competition must be sent anonymously following the instructions given in the section “On-line registration procedure for submitting material”. Book projects submitted and not corresponding to the Participation Methods or incomplete book projects will not be admitted.
5. The International Jury, nominated by the organization, is formed of 9 personalities of recognized prestige and professionalism in the publishing world, illustration and literature. The members of the International Jury will be published on the official website of the Silent Book Contest Contest.
6. The winner announcement and the award ceremony will be held, indicatively, in May 2021 during the events related to the Salone Internazionale del Libro in Turin.
7. The winning book project of the Silent Book Contest 2021 will be published by October 2021 by Carthusia Edizioni of Milan (Italy). The publisher will add it and promote it as part of its editorial catalogue. The author will sign a regular publishing contract and, as established in the rules of the contest and in the contract, will receive a cash prize of € 4.000, as advance on the royalties.
8. The International Jury has the final decision: to not admit in competition book projects not corresponding to what is specified and contained in the Rules and / or Participation Procedure, to nominate among the projects admitted to the competition a lower number of finalist projects to five or more than ten, and also reserves the right not to proclaim a winner of the Silent Book Contest 2021 if the projects are not worthy of publication.
9. To enroll in the contest the Authors have to accept the Rules and Participation Methods and the payment of a registration fee of Euro 50 (fifty) for each project submitted. The payment of the registration fee must be made only by 15th February 2020. It is possible to present a maximum of three unpublished projects for each author. The payment of the enrolment fee is not reimbursable.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: