Postdoctoral Fellow in Sociology and Anthropology of Education
The Higher School of Economics Center for Cultural Sociology and Anthropology of Education in Moscow, Russia, invites applications for postdoctoral research positions in the field of sociology of culture and sociology of education.
About HSE University
The Higher School of Economics (HSE University) is a young, dynamic and fast-growing Russian research university. Over the past 25 years, HSE University has become a leader in Russian education, while also being recognized globally.
For instance, we were the first state-run university in Russia to begin recruiting on the international academic market. We aim at being a university with a highly attuned approach to training new professionals. Therefore, we are eager to hire people with real experience, as well as basic and applied knowledge. Committed to high-quality research, HSE University now has more than 100 research institutes and centers and over 30 international research laboratories collaborating with international specialists from all over the world.
The general requirements for the postdoctoral fellowship positions are the following:
- Candidates must hold a recent PhD in the field of sociology of education, cultural sociology, sociology or related areas which was awarded over the last 5 years or received before starting work at HSE in a relevant field by an internationally recognized university and has been assessed by external reviewers as having the potential to pursue research that is publishable in leading peer-reviewed journals;
- Candidates should have a strong background in social theory, social research methodology, qualitative or quantitative methods, mixed methods research, research in education
- Fluent English is an obligatory condition as research and other activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of Russian is not required;
- Relevant experience will be an asset although not required.
The position involves:
- working under the direct supervision of Dmitry Kurakin, Director of the Center for cultural sociology and anthropology of education
- participants are encouraged to pursue their own research in parallel with working on Center’s research projects in the following broad areas:
- role of culture, meaning and symbolic structures in educational and career choice
- career choice and career decision making
- role of culture and inequality in education in late modernity
- role of inequality and culture in career guidance
- Working within the longitudinal project “Trajectories in education and career”
- Writing research papers for international peer-reviewed journals, also in co-authorship with the members of the Center
- Teaching is encouraged, though not required.
- Participation in organization of the events and other contribution to the center’s development
- Public presentations of candidate’s own research to the researchers in the field and the broader academic community
Appointments are normally made for one year. Postdoctoral fellows have an opportunity of renewal of the contract (no more than two times).
HSE University offers postdoctoral fellows a competitive salary, the standard medical insurance plan, a working space equipped with a computer and free Internet access at the University.
Center for Cultural Sociology and Anthropology of Education offers access to the data gathered within the longitudinal project “Trajectories in education and career”, as well as all the resources available to HSE employee, including thriving academic research environment.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: