Ph.D. Research Grant Announcement 2020
The Orient-Institut Istanbul is pleased to invite applications for Ph.D. research grants for 2020. The purpose of the grant is the support of field research in Istanbul/Turkey for Ph.D. students not living in Turkey. Grants are available to support research in one of the research areas of the Institute including the following research fields:
- Musicological research on the Ottoman Empire and Turkey
- Narrative sources on Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire
- Historic and contemporary forms of religious expression in Anatolia since the 11th century
- Human, medicine, and society, in cooperation with ITAS at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Manuscript cultures of the Ottoman Empire and Iran, in cooperation with the Excellence Cluster “Understanding Written Artefacts” at the University of Hamburg
The research grant consists of a monthly stipend of € 1,100 for the duration of usually six months. Travel expenses to and from Turkey will be reimbursed. Start of the scholarship should be at latest November 1, 2020.
Prospective applicants are expected to hold an M.A. degree in a related academic discipline. A complete application must specify the necessity of conducting research in Istanbul or elsewhere in Turkey and include a detailed time frame for the envisioned research.
A good command of Turkish or other source languages necessary for the proposed project is expected. As the Orient-Institut Istanbul aims at creating an open and supportive academic environment, stipend holders are expected to attend colloquia and conferences organized by the Institute and to give a public presentation of their research. Research stays outside of Istanbul must be coordinated with the director.
Applications must be submitted by January 5, 2020.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.