Call for Papers on Investment in Startups and Small Business Financing
Investment in Startups and Small Business Financing
Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) and Korea Credit Guarantee Fund (KODIT)
29-30 January 2020
Startups play a significant role in job creation and economic growth yet most collapse within their first 10 years while those that survive typically remain small (Yoshino and Taghizadeh-Hesary, 2019). Accessing capital is a key constraint on the development of startups attributed to the lack of a historical background that makes it difficult for lenders or investors to assess their risk. In addition, most startups face a very high possibility of failure, which significantly raises the risk of financing and investment. Venture capital funding for startups has developed in advanced economies like the United States and recently emerged in the People’s Republic of China but it has yet to flourish elsewhere, especially in Asia.
Given the lack of venture capital and the risk-averse environment, new and innovative funding channels are urgently needed to maximize the growth potential of startups in the region. Reducing the information asymmetry between the borrower and the lender or investors, mitigating risk, and raising the rate of return on investments are critical.
The Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) and the Korea Credit Guarantee Fund (KODIT) invite submissions of original, unpublished thematic or case studies on new methods for bringing private investment (equity or debt) to startups and easing financing access (debt and capital) for small businesses.
Papers may address but are not limited to the following:
- New schemes for investment in startups
- Role of government in easing investment in startups
- Startups and venture capital
- Equity crowdfunding and startups
- Application of technology appraisal systems
- Application of techno-economic feasibility methods in startups financing
- Models for measuring risk of investment in startups
- Role of government agencies in debt financing of small businesses
- Models for measuring risk of small business financing
- Role of credit guarantee schemes in small business financing
- Fintech and small business financing
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.