The Communication Associate substantively contributes to development and implementation of country office advocacy and communication strategy and specific work plans through analyzing overall political and communication environment of the country, Communications/Advocacy needs and opportunities for implementation of country programme, basic factors affecting the achievement of results.
The Communication Associate applies established systems and procedures and assists in the creation of substantive knowledge by compiling, synthesizing and analyzing information relevant to population and development, reproductive health and rights youth development and gender equality issues in the context of country office’s Communications/Advocacy efforts. S/he is instrumental in facilitating programme implementation using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems of Communications/Advocacy and ensuring compliance with established procedures.
This post is non-rotational.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO ARMENIAN NATIONALS ONLY
Post type: Fixed term appointment
Closing date: October 11, 2018
Duration: One year renewable (*)
(*) No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations 4.5
The Communication Associate position is located in Armenia country office. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Representative, the Programme Associate on Communications/Advocacy provides significant input into planning and implementation of UNFPA country office’s Communications/Advocacy efforts.
The Communication Associate maintains collaborative relationships with all programme and operational staff at the country office. Internal contacts include the Country Director, Assistant Representative, the Programme Analysts, the country office’s programme/technical team, and the country office’s administrative management team.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Provides input in the development and supports the implementation of the country office’s advocacy and communications strategy, by compiling and analyzing information, receiving inputs from CO’s staff and partners, and drafts the document.
- Maintains relationships with key national partners to strengthen the overall effectiveness of UNFPA public information activities;
- Supports development and execution of UNFPA communication campaigns by liaising with mass media, coordinate drafting speeches for Representative, Country Director, and Assistant Representative, preparing press releases, articles and human interest stories for local press and HQ/RO, coordinating production of TV and radio programmes and disseminating information about UNFPA to the requesting parties;
- Monitors implementation of country office’s advocacy and communications activities, establishing and implementing mechanisms to systematically assess the achievement of results, conducting field visits, participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports. Analyzes basic factors affecting the achievement of results, recommends corrective actions and follows up on recommendations;
- In coordination with national counterparts and country office, guides routine implementation of the country office’s advocacy and communications strategy, coordinating delivery of the strategy inputs, ensuring participation of national counterparts;
- Coordinates development and production of general promotional tools and items as well as information, education and communication materials for the specific country programme components;
- Plans and supports all substantive and logistical preparations, including necessary financial arrangements in connection with relevant UN or other International Days, UNFPA events and national, regional and global campaigns; and assists with organizing the visits of journalists and UNFPA Goodwill Ambassadors;
- Maintains/updates the country office’s online communication channels, including the country office’s website as well as social media platforms; Monitors press coverage of UNFPA work and ICPD issues and contributes press clippings to the weekly regional media monitoring report;
- Acts as a resource person on communication/advocacy, including UNFPA publications and knowledge sharing and related tasks in relation to both HQ/RO and UN sister agencies,;
- Contributes to creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the CO, and drafting relevant materials for dissemination.
- In close cooperation with Assistant Representative and Programme Analysts, conducts regular environmental scanning and prepares weekly briefs for the Representative and the staff on the political and socio-economic developments in the country relevant to UNFPA country programme;
- Liaises with regional Advocacy/Communication Adviser and relevant UNFPA headquarters’ units on regional and global advocacy/communication initiatives and relevant information requests;
- Ensures application of the regional publication policy and submission of publication requests to the regional publications committee.
- Represents UNFPA in the country UN Communication Group.
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor degree in social sciences, preferably communications or other relevant areas..
Knowledge and Experience:
At least 7 years of professional experience in programme/project management. Clear understanding of advocacy and communication concepts. Experience in advocacy and communication is desirable.
Proficiency in current office and communication/publishing software applications and social media.
Fluency in English, Armenian and Russian required
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieve results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
Communicating for impact
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-oriented programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Warning to Applicants: Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
This is a project funded post.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be notified.