The United Nations Development Programme in Armenia (UNDP Armenia) is striving to introduce good democratic and economic governance system to achieve an improved business environment, allowing for civil society, local businesses and other stakeholders to influence policy making and to contribute to economic diversification in Armenia.
The overall objective of the project is to improve the investment and doing business environment in Armenia, leading to strengthening of Armenia’s competitiveness.
The anticipated project results are the following:
- At least 12 procedures related to investment are publicly accessible online in English and Armenian (such as land lease or acquisition - purchase of, or investment in, existing companies - construction permits - business licenses - work permits, Environmental Impact Assessment, etc.)
- Local counterparts publish new procedures and administer the system autonomously.
- Simplification proposals are made for 4 priority procedures.
- One or various local counterparts are able to simplify procedures using the eRegulations system and applying UNCTAD’s “10 principles to simplify administrative procedures”.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Sustainable Growth and Resilience (SGR) Programme Analyst, and in cooperation with the Programme Associate (Economics and IBM) for day-to-day activities, the incumbent will be responsible for the overall implementation of the project activities, in close cooperation with relevant central, regional and local authorities and other UNDP projects.
In particular the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Leading, supervising, and monitoring the project implementation process.
- Ensuring the efficient operation of the Project Unit, including supervision of the project staff and national consultants.
- Ensuring the development and efficient implementation of outputs and activities, as per the Project Document.
- Managing the Project budget and ensuring financial delivery.
- Liaising with the Government, regional and local authorities, civil society organizations, including private sector companies, and international partners to ensure participatory approach for the development and implementation of project activities.
- Developing critical partnerships and networks for the specific thematic areas; participating in the activities of intergovernmental or other coordinating bodies.
- Developing and submitting reports to the implementing and responsible partners, UNDP, and funding organizations on the financial and operational status of the Project.
- Supporting UNDP in providing guidance and technical expertise on the formulation of project strategies and proposals in the related fields.
- Identifying and develop new project proposals and identify respective funding sources to ensure continuity of UNDP activities in e-governance sector.
- Contributing to the preparation of the office collective products, including policy papers, corporate planning and reporting tools, resource mobilization and advocacy materials, innovative and creative initiatives, blogs, interviews etc.
- Ensuring the provision of information for Atlas reporting, providing inputs to UNDP corporate planning and reporting instruments such as CPD, ROAR, integrated work plan and other
- Providing knowledge-driven policy advice and services to UNDP and the Government in the related practice areas.
- Acting as project assets custodian and ensuring that the project assets are properly inventoried and reported to UNDP.
- Performing other duties as required by UNDP.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Demonstrates a passion and energy for development projects
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in economics business administration, development studies or other relevant discipline.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in project management and implementation.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Knowledge and previous experience in e-governance, economic development, business and investment regulations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural background and set good rapport with population in rural areas.
- Ability to deliver and reach the planned targets without undermining proper operational processes.
- Creativity, flexibility and an innovative approach to problem solving.
- Strong managerial skills, proven ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and tasks concurrently;
- Good computer literacy, knowledge of MS office software and web based applications. Ability to work with office equipment.
Fluency in English and Armenian.