John Smith Trust Fellowship Programme
The John Smith Trust is running a Fellowship Programme for outstanding young leaders from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan in November 2018. This programme is a unique and potentially life-changing opportunity. It offers exceptional individuals the chance to explore issues of good governance, social justice and the rule of law in an intensive four-week programme in the UK. It gives participants the chance to explore their leadership styles and develop key skills. It includes a week in Scotland and three weeks in London. Fellows participate in workshops, debates and visits with senior leaders and high-level experts. Each Fellow also has a programme of placements and meetings tailored to their particular area of interest, which is reinforced by follow-up mentoring and support. Those who successfully complete the UK programme become part of the distinguished network of JST Alumni of over 500 Fellows spanning over 20 countries. The JST Fellowship is for life.
To apply you must:
- Speak and write fluent English (preferably having already studied or worked in English)
- Demonstrate your potential as a leader in your chosen professional field, committed to the positive future development of your country.
- Demonstrate a clear professional interest in the areas of good governance, rule of law or social justice.
- Propose an Action Plan addressing a policy or organisational issue of importance in your field of work which you intend to implement on return to your home country, and which will be informed by your experience in the UK.
- Be prepared to make a substantial commitment if selected as a Fellow: to be available for a four-week residential programme in the UK and to participate actively in the JST Alumni Network in the long-term.
John Smith Fellows can come from any field, particularly politics, administration, business, the media, and civil society. The age band of Fellows is normally 25 to 35 years.
What you will gain as a John Smith Fellow
The Fellowship is a unique career enhancing and potentially life-changing opportunity to develop your leadership skills and gain professional experience through access to high-level UK experts and senior leaders. You will see in practice how UK institutions function and how they address the challenges facing a modern democracy. You will have the chance to make lifelong friendships and invaluable professional contacts. After completion, you will become part of the John Smith Alumni Network which spans over 20 countries, connecting leaders from government, civil society organizations and the private sector.
What is expected of you as a John Smith Fellow
Future leaders who will participate actively in the UK residential Programme, centered around the development and subsequent implementation of your Action Plan are looked for. On completion of the UK Programme, our Fellows make a long-term commitment to the John Smith Trust as a member of its Alumni Network: staying in touch, participating in regional events and continuing to exchange and collaborate with other Fellows, including new intakes.
How to apply
The process starts with an online application form, which you should complete as soon as possible. The online application form will open on Tuesday 22nd May 2018 and close at midnight (UK time) on Sunday 17th June 2018. Please submit your application as early as possible within this timeframe. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange a face-to-face interview in their respective country in July 2018. Final selection and confirmation of Fellows will take place by the first week of August 2018. (Candidates shortlisted for interview will be notified before the end of June.)
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.